Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports (playing) in London

Options
  • 26-11-2010 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just seeing whether anyone here knows anywhere that I can join in on a game of football/tag rugby/maybe even GAA, at a social level... I don't mean joining a proper team as my hours are too long in work, just somewhere I can join in on a game of 5-a-side.. I live in Battersea/Clapham by the way

Also, my first post in this London forum, I've been here in London nearly two years now (in Clapham).. moved back home to Dublin in September as took redundancy but ended up getting another job back here by the end of Sept! place can't get rid of me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Last night I joined Clapham Runners running club. They practice 2 nights a week (Tues Battersea, Thurs Clapham). There are only about 20 runners but it was good fun and a good way to meet people. Whilst at the Millennium Arena Battersea Park, I saw lots of 5-a-side footy so maybe a google search could find you a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

clapham common in the summer will have loads of sports going on. clan na gael hurling club will be there, as are loads of soccer games, some aussie rules, tag and loads of fitness clubs.

i played with the hurling club. to be honest, the talent out jogging can be very distracting, and i blame them for us being ridiculously shyte. let me know if you want numbers to call, you don't even have to like hurling to get on the team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

clapham common in the summer will have loads of sports going on. clan na gael hurling club will be there, as are loads of soccer games, some aussie rules, tag and loads of fitness clubs.

i played with the hurling club. to be honest, the talent out jogging can be very distracting, and i blame them for us being ridiculously shyte. let me know if you want numbers to call, you don't even have to like hurling to get on the team!

Yeah there is loads of stuff happening in the Common in summertime, but I'm wondering about right now.. even finding a few lads for a kickabout on a weekend would be great.. I never noticed the hurling team there before! my coordination with a hurley is ****e to be honest!

Last night I joined Clapham Runners running club. They practice 2 nights a week (Tues Battersea, Thurs Clapham). There are only about 20 runners but it was good fun and a good way to meet people. Whilst at the Millennium Arena Battersea Park, I saw lots of 5-a-side footy so maybe a google search could find you a club.

I run a lot, I prefer to run by myself as I listen to music whilst running.. what happens in a running club anyway? does everyone just run together? do they have a website?

Also, I can't join a club due to work commitments, so I'm just looking for a few lads to play a bit of football with really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

go to the alex on clapham high st, opposite clapham common tube stop tonight or tomorrow, there'll be plenty of people there who'll be able to sort you out.

if you never noticed us training, it just proves how shyte we were. still though, you'd make the team. i played my first game of hurling at 29!

• Advertisement

yeah might watch the rugby in the Alex over the weekend, good idea :D

Where do yous play in the common? I had a look around over the summer but never saw anyone playing gaa, just all those afl players in the middle, and they looked way too serious for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I started playing squash when I moved over. Just me and a work mate but my local squash courts closed down for a repainting and moved to a new one and they have a social squash nights on a monday that I shall be joining.

Look up Gumtree they have a sports section.

Advertisement