Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Alternative Universities Abroad

Options
  • 26-11-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I was wondering if anyone could provide information of other countries to study for a Undergraduate Bachelor Degree (taught in English if a non-english speaking country) and provide either Reasonable Tuition fees (or free fees) and/or a Tuition Loan system similiar to the UK.

I have already looked into the Scandinavian Countries, while Norway,Sweden & Finland (I have tried Holland as well) don't have any courses I am interested in, I am still awaiting to hear back from a University in Denmark regarding my Eligibility. But at the same time I would like to keep options open and to know of any other Countries & Universities that I could look into. I haven't ruled out studying in Ireland or the UK either (even with the increased fees) but I am setting my sights elsewhere for the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Look at Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium too.

It is very difficult to get a loan system such as in the UK if you are a foreigner (for example if you go there you won't get it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dont look into germany unless you can speak fluent german. You need B2/C1 german just to apply here.

Trust me, I know first hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marienkaefer

I did my Masters in Economics in Berlin through English. The course was free. The only money I had to pay was for a Semester Ticket (bus, train,tram with bike) which was less than 300 (more like 250 euro) per year every 6 months!!! The transport is great in Berlin, the nightlife is great and the city is full of history. Universities will help you find a Studentwohnheim (student housing), again these are cheap. I speak German but you did not need any knowledge of German in my course. The University even provided free German classes to all international students. I would recommend studying abroad as you meet people from every corner of the world, you learn a language, you get a qualification and you really grow as a person. Check out: http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/06005.en.html
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I think many universities have their Master programs in English but I haven't come across the undergraduate programs being in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

That's interesting marien.Just wondering,did you have a few quid saved?How did you support yourself etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marienkaefer

Yosser- I saved a little bit beforehand but I actually got a job teaching English 10 hours per week and I did more like 25 hours during the Summer holidays so that paid the rent etc. and it was nice to have a job during the holidays! You can also build contacts over there and get your own private students.
    D-Generate if you select choose course, then first degree courses and language of instruction -English on the link I posted you’ll see a list of courses being run through English.

Advertisement