Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most common or ordinary bird that is in Ireland but you have never seen.

Options
  • 26-11-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I woyuld start a thread like the rarest bird one, but for people to list birds that they have never seen in their areas but that are common enough birds.

For me there are two.

The first is the Jay. I have seen them back in Liverpool, but I have never seen one since I moved to Limerick, and tonight in the rare bird thread somebody posted a pic of one that was in Limerick.

My second bird is the long tailed tit. I have never seen one in Ireland. Not in my garden, not while out running, not while hiking, and not when in areas where they are meant to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

If you go out to Curraghchase you will see Jays.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

homerhop wrote: »

I have been there many times and have never seen one there. Also never seen one in the Clare glens, or out and around Killaloe/Ballina and various other areas that I would be in on a regular basis for either fishing, running, hiking, or just chilling whilst enjoying the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Treecreeper would be my one. Ive never seen one, but ive never actively searched for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Long eared owl:( I have held a wild long eared owl (it was trapped in a piggery), but I've never seen one free in the wild. One day hopefully!

Treecreeper would be my one. Ive never seen one, but ive never actively searched for one.

Lovely little bird to watch. Not always the easiest to spot though. Most of the ones that I have seen have been by chance rather than trying to seek them out.

• Advertisement

Long eared owl:( I have held a wild long eared owl (it was trapped in a piggery), but I've never seen one free in the wild. One day hopefully!

Curraghchase, and the Mount Trenchard area near Foynes are two good spots for you to try to get a glimpse. The latter area in particular is quite good to spot them.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I have been there many times and have never seen one there. Also never seen one in the Clare glens, or out and around Killaloe/Ballina and various other areas that I would be in on a regular basis for either fishing, running, hiking, or just chilling whilst enjoying the view.

Up to the left of the estate house there is a small grove of trees. I have seen a few in there and if you go to the back of the house where the swings are, they are high in the trees there

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

I actually spotted one of these last week in a local park and was going to post up and ask what it was as I'd never seen one before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Haven't seen any birds mentioned in this thread.:( I'd love to see an owl. I'm sure I've at least heard them, but not recognised the sound for what it was. I've never seen a cuckoo either (though I've heard them - but not for years).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

homerhop wrote: »

Indeed - a great spot for all the woodland species that are found in the SW, currently it has the added attraction of wintering Hawfinches:)

• Advertisement

Alliandre wrote: »
    Haven't seen any birds mentioned in this thread.:( I'd love to see an owl. I'm sure I've at least heard them, but not recognised the sound for what it was. I've never seen a cuckoo either (though I've heard them - but not for years).

Where I used to feed pheasants in a wood there was a parliment of owls that would sit in the trees and watch what I was doing for and hour or so in the evenings. I often sat in the pen with the pheasaents walking around me just enjoying the evening sun. There is also a barn owl that uses the street light as a view point outside my mothers house.
    Like you I have never seen a cuckoo and it had been years since I hear one until late april this year. Was standing outside a church in Galway when I heard that distinctive sound, both myself and the mother looked and said did you hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A Ring Ouzel would be the one for me. Despite living in County Wicklow for some thirty years and being all over the Dublin/Wicklow mountains one of these elusive creatures never crossed my path.

ring-ouzel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

There are lots of birds that I've never seen. The long tailed tit was also on my list but I saw my first one on Saturday :)
    Strangely (I imagine) I have never seen a sparrowhawk :confused:. I don't know if they're in short supply around here or if I just don't look in the right places. I've also never seen a buzzard which definitely are in short supply around here. The kingfisher is also on my "never seen but would really like to" list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

A Ring Ouzel would be the one for me. Despite living in County Wicklow for some thirty years and being all over the Dublin/Wicklow mountains one of these elusive creatures never crossed my path.
    Lacking from my list as well. Went to Cape Clear last month hoping to see one, but alas no luck:(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Are Ring Ouzels not rare enough though? Beautiful little birds.

For me it would be the Barnacle Goose. Where I was in Dublin all I got were Brent Geese but now that I am in Galway this may well change.

Advertisement