Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Plate for Sky Dish

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi
    My appartment block has a shared satelite dish which I'm trying to hook my free to air box up to.

The typical satelite wall plate available form woodies doesn't work. Fortunately my brother lives in same building so I borrowed his wallplate and it works fine in my appartment.

There seems to be a circuit board with a lot more bobs and bits than on the basic woodies one (yes I know I'm getting all technical :D)

Would anyone know where these are called or where they can be got?

Only clues on it was the plate was made by Wolsey and the circuit board had a number CDO-SW-1/J1-3

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

• Registered Users Posts: 25 t wex

looks like it but they all look the same and Wolsey seem to have a few types, its whats on the back that makes them different. I got one that looked just like that in Woodies but the connection on the back was just a basic screw conecting the cable directly to the wall conection.

The one I borrowed that worked had resistors etc between the wall conection and the cable conection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I took my ariel socket off the wall,removed the circuitry from the back and simply ran the cable straight through the hole,looks nice and tidy and no joints in the cable to degrade the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

You don't need a wall plate with circuitry, as zerks said the best option is just to run the cable through the hole in the wall plate. You'll probably need two f-connectors and a female to female f-connector.

More info here: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cableandleads.html#SurfacePlates

I'll give wiring it straight through a go
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

What plate was fitted originally? Some apartment blocks use a signal distribution system which employs resistive "taps". If you fit the wrong type you can screw up everyone else's reception.

Its a bog standard Coaxial TV/FM one put on just to cover the hole untill a tenant moved in.The original plate was left on the wall without the cables hooked up.

Any one else who has had sky installed has either had their plate replaced and conected by the Sky installer or stupidly gone and bolted a new dish up for their own appartment so the building is beginning to look like Ground Control.

Wiring straight through didn't work. Local electrical supplies are doing a ring around their shops to see if they have one so fingers crossed.

Advertisement