Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter fuel prices

Options
  • 25-11-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm shopping for coal (40kg) at the moment and think that Brown's Animal Feeds in Clonminam Ind Est is as good as it gets:- 11.50 if I saw correctly today as I parked in telfords and browsed. Its 12 on the radio ad on Midlands Radio 3. Telfords have it for 2 for €25. These are excellent prices compared to Glanbia etc (I think but correct me if I'm wrong).

I was also on the hunt for drums of kero. I tracked down WH Deverells who do a 20L drum for €27, which I thought was saucy but depending on the price per litre when you refill, it might be ok. Boyds (Topaz station) in Mountmellick quoted me approx 85c per litre which would work out grand on your own drums, but they don't provide.

Anyone got any good fuel prices to add? Particularly coal and kero drums as I'm still hunting !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just spotted your thread, not sure if you can get to Tullamore, i filled two (yes, Two) 20 Litre drums of Kerosene at the Mahons fuel depot for €33 on Christmas eve! hard to beat that price. Prior to this, i filled one drum at the corrib station on the way to Portlaoise the previous week and it cost €19.50 for the one drum!

I'm lucky as i live between Portlaoise and Tullamore so have the choice!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thanks Dempo1, sorry I read this late now :(

As with you, I drift between Mountmellick and Tullamore :D

I just filled 3 drums at 95 cent a litre at Boyds in Mountmellick. Previously it was 2 for €34 i.e 0.85cpl. A jump of 10 cent based on the crude price jumping.

We just simply have to keep our eyes peeled, eh? Must check Mahons. Had forgotten about them, how thick is that?

Emo Oil are quoting 90cpl for a €300 delivery so Boyds must have gone up 10cpl where the wholesale went up perhaps 5 cpl. I will check wholesale elsewhere and update this post. Its important so that ppl keep their money in their pockets where possible.

ps re other thread, the Inverter 5006 from MCL is an absolute gem. Miser on Tozane. Love it !

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Thanks Dempo1, sorry I read this late now :(

As with you, I drift between Mountmellick and Tullamore :D

I just filled 3 drums at 95 cent a Litre at Boyds in Mountmellick. Previously it was 2 for €34 i.e 0.85cpl. A jump of 10 cent based on the crude price jumping.

We just simply have to keep our eyes peeled, eh? Must check Mahons. Had forgotten about them, how thick is that?

Emo Oil are quoting 90cpl for a €300 delivery so Boyds must have gone up 10cpl where the wholesale went up perhaps 5 cpl. I will check wholesale elsewhere and update this post. Its important so that ppl keep their money in their pockets where possible.

ps re other thread, the Inverter 5006 from MCL is an absolute gem. Miser on Tozane. Love it !

Happy new year, glad to hear your snug as a rug!:D

Curious, I printed off a price list for heaters at MCL, what price did you pay for your inverter? and has it a wick or is it electronic? I'm a novice with such things!

ps, spoke to mahons on new years eve and he said they keep the price for drums a little lower than bulk delivery, I paid €33 for 3 drums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Just to my add my twopence after the fact!
    I picked up some Kero in Topaz in Mountmellick and paid 95c/l (having seen it at 85c/l a few days later). I was in Topaz(first one on Mountmellick side at roundabout) in Portlaoise a few days later and they had it still for 85c/l !! - I got a 25l drum in Glanbia for about 10 quid and filled that.

Also Glanbia in Mountmellick do housecoal for 12.70 a bag and have a 6 bales briquettes for 20 quid.They also have offers in strore for polish coal.

Gings in Portlaoise, do bales of briquettes at 3.20 each!!-Cheapest anywhere that I've seen. They also do house coal for around 12.50-13 euro and all the varities of nuggets(14/15 euro a bag) and anthracite (17/18 a bag).

Personally I get 2bags house coal+6 bales for 45 quid in Glanbia as its near me and you drive in to the store where the guys will load it

Where in Tullamore is Mahons full depot?
    Although that housecoal seems to cause a lot of furring-Anyone else notice this?

JackieChan wrote: »
    Just to my add my twopence after the fact!
    I picked up some Kero in Topaz in Mountmellick and paid 95c/l (having seen it at 85c/l a few days later). I was in Topaz(first one on Mountmellick side at roundabout) in Portlaoise a few days later and they had it still for 85c/l !! - I got a 25l drum in Glanbia for about 10 quid and filled that.

Also Glanbia in Mountmellick do housecoal for 12.70 a bag and have a 6 bales briquettes for 20 quid.They also have offers in strore for polish coal.

Gings in Portlaoise, do bales of briquettes at 3.20 each!!-Cheapest anywhere that I've seen. They also do house coal for around 12.50-13 euro and all the varities of nuggets(14/15 euro a bag) and anthracite (17/18 a bag).

Personally I get 2bags house coal+6 bales for 45 quid in Glanbia as its near me and you drive in to the store where the guys will load it

Where in Tullamore is Mahons full depot?
    Although that housecoal seems to cause a lot of furring-Anyone else notice this?

Mahons are Maxol and they are right across from the Esso filling station on the Clara Rd (Brendan Dolan's) or almost right across from RF Colton's Ford garage etc. The Clara bridge is closed from the town side so you can get to Mahons through Arden View or Clontarf Rd or Clara Rd from the ring road.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Happy new year, glad to hear your snug as a rug!:D

Curious, I printed off a price list for heaters at MCL, what price did you pay for your inverter? and has it a wick or is it electronic? I'm a novice with such things!

ps, spoke to mahons on new years eve and he said they keep the price for drums a little lower than bulk delivery, I paid €33 for 3 drums!

Hi Dempo1, sorry I missed that question. I paid €295 for the Inverter 5006. I got a free 23L drum with that, which equals €24. I also bought 4x23L extra at the time and am currently at 2.5 drums left. The Inverter might not be everyone's cup of tea but if you are used to a kero space heater, then it is FANTASTIC! Plus, I prefer warm and toasty with a "slight" smell of kero at start-up(like the old gas smell) to cold or poor due to savage oil bills. But its literally very slight. Once you keep a room aerated and run the heater continuously (starting and stopping causes slight trace smells), then this is one of the most economic pieces of technology I've ever come across. Once its heats a room to between 12-30c, whatever your preference (and it does this at 3.2kw), then it settles down to 800w and that my friends costs 40c per hour :D

I saw a glossy MCL kero heater handout recently in the Leinster Express. An excellent piece of kit that I will store away carefully at the end of April until next October. A life saver over the winter we've just had.

Hi Dempo1, sorry I missed that question. I paid €295 for the Inverter 5006. I got a free 23L drum with that, which equals €24. I also bought 4x23L extra at the time and am currently at 2.5 drums left. The Inverter might not be everyone's cup of tea but if you are used to a kero space heater, then it is FANTASTIC! Plus, I prefer warm and toasty with a "slight" smell of kero at start-up(like the old gas smell) to cold or poor due to savage oil bills. But its literally very slight. Once you keep a room aerated and run the heater continuously (starting and stopping causes slight trace smells), then this is one of the most economic pieces of technology I've ever come across. Once its heats a room to between 12-30c, whatever your preference (and it does this at 3.2kw), then it settles down to 800w and that my friends costs 40c per hour :D

I saw a glossy MCL kero heater handout recently in the Leinster Express. An excellent piece of kit that I will store away carefully at the end of April until next October. A life saver over the winter we've just had.

Top of the morning, Gosh great minds do think alike, I was only at mc Coughlins last week discussing the very heater you got. There is absolutely no doubt, this heater offers fantastic value. I have been using my very old Paraglo heater and whilst very old, its working very well, this said i had an awful challenge getting a replacement wick which Mc Coughlins had. At €20 it was good value as they last a year.

I am considering the inverter for next year, I just wondered about your thoughts on using Kerosene as opposed to the Rolf they supply, admittedly it is cleaner and not as smelly as Kerosene but I have been using Kerosene quite successfully and to be honest, theres little odor from it. Its a heck of a lot cheaper than Rolf.

Secondly, there is no doubt the electronic versions are much easier to maintain (no wicks to replace) but i wondered are they expensive on electricity? and do you reckon there would be much maintenance.

No doubt about it, I would have been lost without my heater and Gosh, so cheap to run!

Sorry, meant to amend that, it was 290 for the inverter 5006, not 295!

And you were right about Mahon Oil being cheaper on the drums than the small kero fills. I just rang and its 84 cpl. That's fantastic. Guess where I'm filling?

I think its about 12-20w an hour on electricity but I will check that. So in other words a few cents an hour max. Edt checked. 12w it is. http://www.dry-it-out.com/inverter-5006-3kw-liquid-fuel-heater-free-fuel
    I wouldn't like to run kero in the electronic heater as the jets could be very finely tuned. Although if you strained it some way, it might not be an issue at all. But the drums of tozane /paraffin have VERY clean fuel. I wouldn't imagine odour would be massively worse with regular kero, but the octane of the fuel should be slightly lower than tozane-grade paraffin. Can't swear that though

Sorry, meant to amend that, it was 290 for the inverter 5006, not 295!

And you were right about Mahon Oil being cheaper on the drums than the small kero fills. I just rang and its 84 cpl. That's fantastic. Guess where I'm filling?

I think its about 12-20w an hour on electricity but I will check that. So in other words a few cents an hour max. Edt checked. 12w it is. http://www.dry-it-out.com/inverter-5006-3kw-liquid-fuel-heater-free-fuel
    I wouldn't like to run kero in the electronic heater as the jets could be very finely tuned. Although if you strained it some way, it might not be an issue at all. But the drums of tozane /paraffin have VERY clean fuel. I wouldn't imagine odour would be massively worse with regular kero, but the octane of the fuel should be slightly lower than tozane-grade paraffin. Can't swear that though

Thanks for that and glad you saved a few bob at Mahons, actually just back (Be mindful the Clara Bridge is being repaired so there is a pain in the ass of a detour to Mahons depot. Got two drums this morning, = €33.60! great value and almost two weeks of heat from my heater!

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that and glad you saved a few bob at Mahons, actually just back (Be mindful the Clara Bridge is being repaired so there is a pain in the ass of a detour to Mahons depot. Got two drums this morning, = €33.60! great value and almost two weeks of heat from my heater!

Cheers Dempo, and I just checked Boyds / Topaz in Mountmellick tonight and its 95cpl. So for anyone who can use Mahon Oil, that's 15 cent a litre difference! As I'm driving back and forward, the extra weight is miniscule and so the €12 saved on 80L is not to be sneezed at !!! Does a nice lotto for me with plenty of change. In one pocket and OUT the other :D

• Advertisement

Cheers Dempo, and I just checked Boyds / Topaz in Mountmellick tonight and its 95cpl. So for anyone who can use Mahon Oil, that's 15 cent a litre difference! As I'm driving back and forward, the extra weight is miniscule and so the €12 saved on 80L is not to be sneezed at !!! Does a nice lotto for me with plenty of change. In one pocket and OUT the other :D

LOL:rolleyes: if you win the lotto, don't forget your Buddy Dempo

as of today, mahon Oil are 91 cent a litre on drums and Topaz Mountmellick is ..................119 !! Holy sh1t. That is crazy.

Folks, keep your eyes open to keep money in your back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Thought I would revive this as the cold weather if fast approaching. Anyone know anywhere with deals on briquettes & coal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Portlaoise area

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Fletchers in Portarlington selling BNM briquettes at €3.15 a bale at the moment. Very good price if you're buying them in small amounts.

Best price in Laois I've got so far today for home heating oil (kerosene) is from Corrib Oil who are going €810 for 1,000 litres and €419 for 500 litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Update on Kero prices.

Boyds/Topaz Mountmellick 110.9/ltr :mad:

Topaz(near Eurospar) Portlaoise 98.9c/ltr!

Anyone know cheaper in the Portlaoise area? I

Hi,

an update to a year old thread. But one which I started so hope that's ok.

I just got a delivery of oil from Smyth Fuels. Arrived after dark. Knew the house and tank from before my time, so that helped speed things. Had told me from noon that he would get to me that evening. Which was a Godsend. The house was freezing and, true to his word, he got to me and ensured my airlocked burner got going again. Way beyond the expected.

I used to rep for major oil Cos back a decade ago and, if you have read my recommendations for various suppliers here on Laois Boards before, you can take my word that Smyth Fuels is as trustable, friendly and professional as you would want around your property and family. Has on-board ticketing and card processing, so very worthwhile for anyone who's nervous having big sums of money around.

Pricewise, same for 500L as Jones or Campus or Emo. About 469. I'm usually very price-concious and hungry but Campus' online offer of 455 was going to take next day and I'd have to wait until next day for an ETA. Having worked for years for oil Cos, I find it incredible that they don't have as much logistical info to hand so that they can capture sales. I'm not talking technology, just common sense. Most drivers do runs and circuits. Phone staff should know this. They ask you to name a time. That's just silly. a truck can't bounce all over a region. If it does, its gonna cost someone.
    In other news, I've just done my 2nd winter (3rd year of ownership) of a modern paraffin space heater. Mine's an Inverter 5006. It is a miracle of the Holy Trinity :D. Warm warm warm! And McLoughlins have just launched a new website, which is about time as other lesser competitors were selling paraffin and heaters in a less than professional manner. MCL are on top of things and know their stuff.

Main website http://www.jhmcloughlin.com/Heaters.html

Here's a link for the space heaters website: -
    http://www.mcloughlincycles.ie/Cycle/heaters.html

Finally, very importantly, for any of you who are finding damp issues in your house. The issue is not heating, the issue is humidity. Most de-humidifiers are refridgerant based and so they don't work well in our or Britain's climate. Unless you are lucky enough to have your heating all around the house at 20c + constantly. Not likely. So instead, what you need is a de-humidifier that works well at cool temperature. This one below does. It is on my shopping list as my next toy. Drier air is easier to heat and of course better for you, your house and your belongings.

PLUS, some people have taken to putting their washed clothes, not on rads, but on clothes horses in a cold room with one of these running and, hey presto, dry clothes!! Check Youtube here and also lots of reviews here on an english site that also sells paraffin heaters such as Inverters. Read the reviews here also on Amazon UK and be converted :D I think its all great stuff anyway. Hope some of you appreciate the research.

"Ruby Dehumidifer Machine
    Quiet + No greenhouse gases
    Power + Heat
    Easy-to-use + Light & Portable just 7 kg
    Absorption technology - that’s the secret of RUBY DRY Dehumidifiers, even at low temperatures.
    RUBY DRY DH600 Dehumidifiers are ideal for all living areas, it reduces condensation and mildew. Effective from garage to attic, it will protect your bathroom, bedroom, laundry room, living room, conservatory and kitchen"

Also a very good site here http://www.ruby-dry-dehumidifiers.co.uk/

Advertisement