Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minidisc recorder for a musician, whats used nowadays?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi a question for my Da, Hes a musician and uses Minidisc for recording demo sessions, he likes it because he can name the tracks, cut out sections and put in track marks wherever he likes.

This means he can go back and put a small section on repeat and practice to it.

He uses one of those Sony Net MD player/ recorders. It can take ages to cut out sections and name all the tracks. I was thinking the PC could speed all this up.

I tried to load the MD tracks onto my pc with sonicstage (like I tunes), but as you may know sony dont allow this for piracy reasons, crazy considering they may be your own recordings.

I looked into it and the newer HDMD players do allow this, they cost about 200 sterling from what I can see and are now old technology?

So Im thinking is there some digital recorder that will do all that the old MD recorders did, such as putting in track marks, editing out bits on the device and of course also allowing this to be completed on a PC.

Thanks for the help folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Could he just use the PC itself? Any audio editor can do that with ease, he can see the waveform on screen. Audacity is fine for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

Thanks for the reply MT,

He needs something that he can use as a portable player/ recorder that will hook up with the PC if he needs be.
    Something that will allow someone to put in markers so that a certain part could be put on repeat, and ideally something that will let you edit without a pc also.
    Im just thinking there must be something digital that will record, wav, mp3 and work similar to a minidisc player/ recorder.
    Im sure there must be that is popular with musicians that are tech savy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i have a boss micro BR, does all that no prob....got one second hand on adverts for €100......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

lee_ wrote: »
    He needs something that he can use as a portable player/ recorder that will hook up with the PC if he needs be.

I use a laptop with audacity for a lot of this type of stuff...

Advertisement