Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i got called for a interview to the fire brigade

Options
  • 25-11-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

This interview is to shortlist people,any tips for me?

Does anybody know the kinda questions they will be asking,ive been working in construction all my life so interviews wouldnt be my strong point..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

Which brigade called you if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

If its fulltime it has to be Limerick? Think Sligo might be filling 1 or 2 fulltime vacancies also.

Clare retained also recruiting.

FB very much about teamwork but being able to work on own initiative. You need to get these traits across but don't forget the basics. What do the FB do? What fire extinguisher puts out what fire? Have you visited the fire station? What did you see? Make sure you show that you are interested.

Good luck......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

make and year of appliance etc. how many calls a year does the station get?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

dfbemt wrote: »
    If its fulltime it has to be Limerick? Think Sligo might be filling 1 or 2 fulltime vacancies also.

Clare retained also recruiting.

FB very much about teamwork but being able to work on own initiative. You need to get these traits across but don't forget the basics. What do the FB do? What fire extinguisher puts out what fire? Have you visited the fire station? What did you see? Make sure you show that you are interested.

Good luck......

im very interested,ive been trying for abit,but not many jobs come up in this country or the uk..

i haven't visted the station,am i allowed to do this,as in just walk in off the street?
    any feedback is appreicated..

tom thum wrote: »
    make and year of appliance etc. how many calls a year does the station get?

make,year of the appliances?
    as in there equipment and stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

top madra wrote: »
    im very interested,ive been trying for abit,but not many jobs come up in this country or the uk..

i haven't visted the station,am i allowed to do this,as in just walk in off the street?
    any feedback is appreicated..

make,year of the appliances?
    as in there equipment and stuff..

If you can tell the lads is it retained/full time it will help.

Last person I knew that went for retained was asked about ladders, pumps (including volume it pumps per minute), areas covered, structure of FS etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hopefully you have an uptodate manual handling course done, in the last 2 years anyway.

if its retained, I can tell you some of what might be asked. A good idea is to visit the station where you could be working and chat to the guys, they will help you out too.

wreckless wrote: »
    if its retained, I can tell you some of what might be asked. A good idea is to visit the station where you could be working and chat to the guys, they will help you out too.

yes mate its retained,fill me in please..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Definitely definitely go to the station you are applying for. If you don't know someone there who can introduce you, find out what night they train and show up early. If necessary ring up the county council to find out what night they train.
    Ask lots of questions (everything from pay to pieces of equipment, makes of vehicles) and take lots of notes and learn.
    Go to your county councils website,download the most recent annual report and read up on the fire service section, numbers of stations, call numbers etc.
    Prepare examples of how you've worked as a member of a team before.
    If you have a first aid qualification listed on your application form be prepared to answer questions about it - similarly if you have listed past / current membership of Civil Defence, Order of Malta, FCA etc. Revise as necessary.
    If you have a construction background, you may very well be asked about how buildings are built etc. Similar questions for other trades / qualifications.
    For a retained station, the panel will want to know you are aware of what retained means, and how you can meet the requirements. Be prepared to talk about your response time, getting off work for calls, missing home life, unsociable hours, unpleasant calls etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

call into the station you applied for, ask for look around and be sure and note all the various equipment both on the appliance and in station, they usually ask alot of questions about pumps and primers, fitness and sports interest is also a bonus in interview, reasonable confidence at heights for ladders to

Do the guys in the station have any say in the hiring of staff or is it solely the councils job?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

the station officer might have a very small say in it. but the other guys wont have ANY say whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

It's important if a small group of people are getting a new person in that the new person fits in and can work as part of a very close team. Being able to portray, in an interview situation, that you'd fit in, would go a long way. You'll receive all the training after being accepted but some knowledge of operations would help including medical, as said above. Whatever you can get in about team work will stand to you. Don't spoof! When's the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

this might seem like a daft question but what should i wear to the interview i guess a suit would be a bit much would jeans be a no no or would maybe trousers and a jumper be ok?

Suit is not a bit much.

civdef wrote: »
    Suit is not a bit much.

do you mind me asking are you in a brigade at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

"Presentation is half the sale"

Its a very true saying !!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

wear a suit.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    do you mind me asking are you in a brigade at present?

Yes. I'm also familiar with the interview process.

i have an interview next week for retained position what type of questions would i be asked would the questions be about the fire brigade in general or would they be about my local station i hope to go to my local station tonight to have a look around and get some info what should i take note of and what questions should i ask them?

I'm sure there's a thread about that somewhere....

• Advertisement

if there is i cant find it would you have any info on the types of question they might ask:confused:

The posts in this thread outline very, very clearly what is likely to come up.

i went to my local station last night and got all the info i need they were only too happy to show me around and went through all the equipment and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

shamrock55 wrote: »
    i went to my local station last night and got all the info i need they were only too happy to show me around and went through all the equipment and so on

Good. Make sure you get that in during the interview. And wear a suit.

Advertisement