Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl "Antifreeze"

Options
  • 25-11-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi everybody,

My sister bought what she thought was antifreeze today in Lidl. It is not coolant antifreeze but rather windscreen washer antifreeze. Put it into your car's cooling system and I fear you will have foam coming out of the radiator!

We are going to try it as a washer detergent and then maybe we will kept it. I think it could classify as false advertisement. I am a mechanical engineer and car enthusiast, and I nearly was caught out.

Yours
    Mr Mike:D
    Tagged:

Comments

Mr Mike wrote: »
    We are going to try it as a washer detergent and then maybe we will kept it. I think it could classify as false advertisement. I am a mechanical engineer and car enthusiast, and I nearly was caught out.

Yours
    Mr Mike:D

Washer detergent ? As in for the washing machine ? It should only be used as screen wash. Antifreeze is pretty dense stuff that comes in a sturdy bottle so how you were nearly caught out by the windscreen washer fluid is a mystery to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Interesting. It's labelled incorrectly as Ultimate Speed Anti-freeze all right but why anyone would want to buy this stuff and put in their car without reading the car manufacturer's coolant specs and the more detailed product labelling is beyond me.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101125.p.Antifreeze

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I can see one or two people getting fooled by the lack of info in the advert and also the size of the bottle.
    It does look like coolant rather than screenwash.

Anti-freeze
    * Frost protection up to -60o
    * See packaging for usage
    * Price per item
    Wk47_53360_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Mr Mike wrote: »
    My sister bought what she thought was antifreeze today in Lidl. It is not coolant antifreeze but rather windscreen washer antifreeze. . . I think it could classify as false advertisement. . .

The word antifreeze only implies that it prevents freezing; it doesn't specify what. As pointed out above, nobody (sensible) is just going to empty it into their cooling system without at least reading the label. (and then putting it to its proper use)
    I fail to see why anyone would even buy it without reading the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Tom Slick wrote: »
    The word antifreeze only implies that it prevents freezing; it doesn't specify what. As pointed out above, nobody (sensible) is just going to empty it into their cooling system without at least reading the label. (and then putting it to its proper use)

Not necessarily. There's a lot of people about that would see the word, and assume they're all the same.

For example, my mother checked the dipstick in her starlet, needed a bit of oil, so she lifted a litre of oil on a garage forecourt.

Brought it home, and topped it up. Only later on when she told me, I asked her what kind of oil was it, she showed it to me. It was gearbox oil.

And when it looks like what should do the job, is labelled as antifreeze, people might think they're doing the best thing by adding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Whats the moral of the story ?

1. If you cant read the manual, dont use it.
    2. If you not sure about what are you doing, leave it for professionals.
    3. Stay away from ANY car products in Aldi/Lidl.

And you have no troubles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

MarkoC wrote: »
    3. Stay away from ANY car products in Aldi/Lidl

And why's that?

I bought a trolley jack and axle stands in Lidl 3 years ago and they've never let me down (no pun intended!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MarkoC wrote: »
    3. Stay away from ANY car products in Aldi/Lidl.

And you have no troubles :)
    Max_Damage wrote: »
    And why's that?

I bought a trolley jack and axle stands in Lidl 3 years ago and they've never let me down (no pun intended!)

...ditto: I've bought some very handy stuff for the car/garage from Lidl. It's no worse than anywhere else, tbh.

Actually, their concentrate Screenwash is good: I bought a bunch of it last time it was available, and use it all the time. Works well for me.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Max_Damage wrote: »
    And why's that?

Lalalalalalallaaaa lol

Got the same stands but i wouldnt work under my 2 tonne car when shes standing on them :D

What i meant that everything is cheap and cheap for reason, even screwdrivers fcuk up after 1 rusty screw lol

I dont mind, buy them, use them, but dont complain if you cant read even the manual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got the big blue bottle to share between 2 cars, should last me the winter and beyond for 7 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

But it is anti-freeze?

I don't get the big problem. This is fairly standard stuff seen in all garages across (Northern) Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I bought one last night and it leaked a little on the way home. Now the car smells of anti-freeze. Better than the smell of chips I suppose........

Advertisement