Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressie for MIL who needs nothing?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My mother in law is a great woman, but she is impossible to buy for.
    She, as she says herself, "wants for nothing!". She is a country woman through and through - she is not interested in fashion, beauty products, spa days or anything other than her family!!
    If I buy her clothes, she leaves them in the wardrobe because "they're too good to wear", and if I buy her creams/lotions etc she just gives them to someone else.
    She is very good to us and to our little boy and could definitely win a "best granny in the world" competition, so I want to show her that we appreciate her. But I am totally stuck on what to buy for her.
    Oh and before you suggest it, photos won't work because her other daughter-in-law is a photographer and gives her photos every year!
    Has anyone got any bright ideas - please?? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Maybe you could do something nice for her have a little get together at your house with as much of her family there as possible. There are lovely grandmother/grandparent frames you can get if she doesnt already have loads. If she is traditional maybe a book of traditional recipes. You could make a scrap book from your son with pictures and drawings etc. Or maybe with her daughters help you could make a this is your life photo album starting with earliest photos of her and her family and friends right through to today. To be honest it sounds like ye spending time with her is as good as present as any.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Have a couple of suggestions for you: if she uses a hairdresser why not pay for her next hair cut. Maybe you could buy her briquettes or coal. A voucher for her local supermarket or garage. She sounds like a practical woman so somethings practical might be best (even if its not very exciting).

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks you Astra and Goodne..... love the idea of the voucher for her haircut - she loves getting her hair done - I don't know why I didn't think of it myself!! And also, you're correct about her just wanting us to spend time with her. We are going to her house for Christmas Day so I think she's just delighted with that! :)
    She buys heaps of turf from the bog so no need for briquettes (prpobably for the next 10 years coz she has so much turf built up !!! :D).
    Right - I'm off to look up the phone number of her hairdresser!!
    Thanks again!

Advertisement