Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships 2011

Options
  • 25-11-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Are there many people heading to the euros?
    Going to be my first time there so just want to hear peoples experiences and what to expect?
    Is it ran the same as most Irish and UK comps? Are there many competitors?
    Any useful info is much appreciated.
    Really looking forward to it!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

what style of JJ is this and where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

I presume its the European BJJ Open. Its in Lisbon starting on the 27th of January. Im probably going but have not been before so can not offer too much advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

I went two years ago, so can prob give a bit of advice.
    The first thing i should point out is that there is a fair bit of waiting about. Imagine the irish open, then square that amount of time.
    One thing i would suggest is all of you treat each other as colleagues going over. There is a fair bit of rivalry, particularly the Portugease and Brazilian element. It has a good atmosphere, especially during the brown / black belt fights. The actually venue is in the back arse of nowhere mind you. Its a fair taxi journey to get from most places.

lol are there many competitors. I entered the blue belt masters super pesado, and there were 6 in my catagory. Lighter weights have more people. the open was crazy, and most people entered it. I went over thinking i had a reasonable standard for my grade. Did ok in my weight catagory, but got spanked in the open. They all love to play / jump guard, and i saw very few "judo" takedowns (Though Andy Ryan proved this wrong last year :) )

The drill is the same as what we are aiming for over here. See the IBJJF website for details. As we were briefed at the refs course. 90% of people that do BJJ dont know the rules. :eek: Learn the rules ;) The refs are strict, and like any sport, decisions dont always go your way. Live with it. There are NO exceptions to making weight. Better weighing in heavy if you are 100% sure you'll make weight. Note that Christmas is in the way of now and then.

On that note, the food in the "local" places is brilliant, and you've lost out if you dont like steak. As for the BJJ my personal recommendation is dont beat yourself up if you dont take gold. All of these guys you fight are paying a good bit of money to kick your ass too! :p Enjoy the experience for what it is, and see a bit of Lisbon while you're there. Bring plenty of bananas & mix with the other teams. And remember, that a BJJ white belt is not necessarily a white belt in every grappling art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bring plenty of bananas & mix with the other teams.

With milk, in a blender?. :pac:

Good post, nice to see lads get stuck in with good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tj_penn

Cheers colinlaird000, gonna be a great event! Going over for the full 4 days so i'm hoping to see some top class jiujitsu! Do you know if there's going to be any Irish teams entered in the team events, would be great to see an Irish team go up against the likes of the UK and Brazil!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

I went last year, excellent experience, going again this year with SBG team mates. Myself and Donal Carmody are hoping to get a team together for under 76 blue belt team comp. booked flights today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PinkPants

da-bres wrote: »
    I went last year, excellent experience, going again this year with SBG team mates. Myself and Donal Carmody are hoping to get a team together for under 76 blue belt team comp. booked flights today!

Id be up for that.... if it isnt strictly SBG members that is. As im a blue belt, and ill be entering at under 76 kilo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

PinkPants wrote: »
    Id be up for that.... if it isnt strictly SBG members that is. As im a blue belt, and ill be entering at under 76 kilo's.

Awesome! Il P.M. you! the Irish team grows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donalcarmody

we should try get a list together for the teams.

Its -76kg and +76kg at each belt.
    On the sunday, each team has to have at least 3 members.
    Max 5

You can have people from different clubs to make up teams.

Team Chilled !

Joey Breslin SBG -76kg Blue
    Donal Carmody Braulios GB -76kg Blue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

TEAM LEGEND!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP, I just edited the title to include 'Brazilian'.

Advertisement