Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Research on Pterosaur Flight

• 25-11-2010 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

One thing which stood out for me was that the maximum size of giant pterosaurs has been scaled back to 10-11 metre wingspan and a weight of 200-250kg (previous estimates speculated up to 14 metres and over 500kgs respectively).
    Other main points include:
    - Pterosaurs were more awkward fliers than birds
    - They were also quite slow by comparison
    - However, they were extremely energy efficient
    - They appear to have been able to 'pole vault' for takeoff.

PLoS ONE's official press release here. (It's a big read but worth it if you have the time)
    Discovery Channel's coverage here.
    Even The Sun tabloid newspaper has gotten wind of it! (please note that pterosaurs were not actually dinosaurs)

pterosaurs-witton

Out of curiosity, I'm running a poll to see which of the three articles I linked to peope liked the most. It's anonymous so no one will be judged on their preference.

Which of the articles did you like best? 5 votes

PLoS ONE - Give me all of your science!!!!
    0% 0 votes
    Discovery Channel - Give me the important points without the jargon
    80% 4 votes
    The Sun - Just give me the jist of it
    20% 1 vote
    I thought Galvasean's summary was perfect *slurp*
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I see I'm not the only one who gets annoyed when pterosaurs are called dinosaurs :cool:
    http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2010/11/18/why-a-pterosaur-is-not-a-dinosaur/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

In your pic there. The larger dinosaur ( spray_trollface_copy.png ), what would the purpose of him having wings be? He obviously wouldn't be able to glide, let alone fly with them, so what were they for?

edit: just read the article. Apparently they could fly "The retention of flight characteristics across giant pterosaur skeletons and their considerable robustness compared to similarly-massed terrestrial animals suggest that giant pterosaurs were not flightless"

So the picture must be inaccurate? There is no way that guy could fly!!

yekahs wrote: »
    In your pic there. The larger dinosaur ( spray_trollface_copy.png ), what would the purpose of him having wings be? He obviously wouldn't be able to glide, let alone fly with them, so what were they for?

The theory was that certain massive pterosaurs spent so much time on the ground that they evolvd beyond the need for flight, hunting on the ground instead. It always seemed a tad bit strange to me when you consider what would happen when one of these fragile bodied flightless pterosaurs encountered a hungry tyrannosaur or a mob of determined dromaeosaurs (raptors)? With no means of escape and lacking in serious weaponry it'd be fairly doomed!
    yekahs wrote: »

So the picture must be inaccurate? There is no way that guy could fly!!

I think the picture is slightly wonky. His head/neck looks bigger because they're going for the '3D effect' that seems popular in dinosaur books (particularly ones for children) these days. Unfortunately on a 2D screen (or indeed page) the effect is lost and we are left with wonky looking dinosaurs creatures.

I did find one of the comments from The Sun giggle-worthy:
    "So all these skeletons of winged dinosaurs could fly, that's amazing, fancy that. Luckily these geniuses were there to explain how they flew with their wings.
    Apparently, there's a theory that some of the dinosaur skeletons that have been found to have legs may possibly have used them for walking, we're just waiting for a room full of spotty virgins to confirm it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Galvasean wrote: »
    The theory was that certain massive pterosaurs spent so much time on the ground that they evolvd beyond the need for flight, hunting on the ground instead. It always seemed a tad bit strange to me when you consider what would happen when one of these fragile bodied flightless pterosaurs encountered a hungry tyrannosaur or a mob of determined dromaeosaurs (raptors)? With no means of escape and lacking in serious weaponry it'd be fairly doomed!

I think the picture is slightly wonky. His head/neck looks bigger because they're going for the '3D effect' that seems popular in dinosaur books (particularly ones for children) these days. Unfortunately on a 2D screen (or indeed page) the effect is lost and we are left with wonky looking dinosaurs creatures.

I did find one of the comments from The Sun giggle-worthy:
    "So all these skeletons of winged dinosaurs could fly, that's amazing, fancy that. Luckily these geniuses were there to explain how they flew with their wings.
    Apparently, there's a theory that some of the dinosaur skeletons that have been found to have legs may possibly have used them for walking, we're just waiting for a room full of spotty virgins to confirm it"

But you are not spotty. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well we do have giant flightless birds, (Ostrich, Emu etc) so they may have evolved to NOT fly. That does not mean they were easy prey for other creatures though. They may have had few predators where they lived for example.

• Advertisement

ostriches and emus are quick though. They can avoid most predators. A ground based pterosaur would be quite slow and awkward (not tomention very light in frame).

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ostriches and emus are quick though. They can avoid most predators. A ground based pterosaur would be quite slow and awkward (not tomention very light in frame).

I should have elaborated and said that, as far as best research indicates, ostriches and emus etc. evolved from smaller creatures. This allowed them to evolve into larger speedier creatures. A hypothetical flightless giant pterosaur would have evolved from massive (but extremely lightly built) and awkward (ie: slow on the ground) flying forms. Such a creature would be extremely vunerable having evolved to lose it's best means of defense (flight).

edit:
    Just for fun, here is an article on what flighless pterosaurs would look like had they survived the K-T event and had a chance to evolve further.
    how_azhdarchids_evolved_flightlessness.jpg

For those interested in cryptozoology, a piece on pterosaurs in modern times:
    http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2007/12/pterosaurs_alive.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Very Giraffe like.

To be honest, my point is that evolution would not allow them to exist if they had no survival traits. So they must have had something going for them. My thought was that they evolved in a place where the predators could not get to them, or at least get to them in substantial numbers.

I don't know, merely surmising.

Rubecula wrote: »
    To be honest, my point is that evolution would not allow them to exist if they had no survival traits. So they must have had something going for them.

Well, if the latest research is correct the flightless giant ptersaurs simply did not evolve and they actually could fly. So in essense their big advantage was the ability to fly.

Advertisement