Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLASHING RED Light - PS3

Options
  • 25-11-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I have a 60g playstation that I got a couple of years ago. Over that last couple of days every time I use it it shuts down and goes on standyby with the red flashing light....

Can this be fixed....Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

This is more a Playstation forum issue, but the flashing red light is overheating. could it be a YLOD before the red light?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭simon2581

This is more a Playstation forum issue, but the flashing red light is overheating. could it be a YLOD before the red light?
    any ideas on how to fix.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

simon2581 wrote: »
    any ideas on how to fix.....

If it's YLOD, you can pay to get it reflowed, but they only guarantee it for 3months and typical lifespan of a reflowed PS3 is less than 6mths though you could get lucky and have it work for a couple of years.

It happened to me and I flogged the dead PS3 for 80yoyos and put it towards a new slim.

Inquitus wrote: »
    If it's YLOD, you can pay to get it reflowed, but they only guarantee it for 3months and typical lifespan of a reflowed PS3 is less than 6mths though you could get lucky and have it work for a couple of years.

It happened to me and I flogged the dead PS3 for 80yoyos and put it towards a new slim.

yea got the new ps3 there im going to get a mate to fix it and trade it in me thinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

I have a 60g playstation that I got a couple of years ago. Over that last couple of days every time I use it it shuts down and goes on standyby with the red flashing light....

Can this be fixed....Cheers

it can be fixed its the YLOD it happens when the playstation over heats due to being put in a corner or press where the vents are blocked or partly blocked or the vents fill up with dust i have fixed 4 with the same problem but its not a permanent fix but saying that i did one for a friend of mine a year ago and its still working perfect
    what part of the country are you in because i can do it for you if you like

• Advertisement

smokin ace wrote: »
    it can be fixed its the YLOD it happens when the playstation over heats due to being put in a corner or press where the vents are blocked or partly blocked or the vents fill up with dust i have fixed 4 with the same problem but its not a permanent fix but saying that i did one for a friend of mine a year ago and its still working perfect
    what part of the country are you in because i can do it for you if you like
    living in athy and working in dublin where aobuts are you

gorey co.wexford

Have you checked the vents to make sure air can get through?

I get a hair dryer once a month and blow all the dust out, you would be amazed how much builds up.

If the vents are clogged and air cant through then it will overheat.

Have you checked the vents to make sure air can get through?

I get a hair dryer once a month and blow all the dust out, you would be amazed how much builds up.

If the vents are clogged and air cant through then it will overheat.

if it has the ylod already it would fix it because it needs to be stripped down and new terminal paste replaced and the solder on the board needs to be re-flowed but blowing it out with the hair drier once a month is a good idea to keep the dust down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

if it has the ylod already it would fix it because it needs to be stripped down and new terminal paste replaced and the solder on the board needs to be re-flowed but blowing it out with the hair drier once a month is a good idea to keep the dust down

Can you tell me what do you use to reflow? Do you have hot air/IR station or just blow it with heatgun?

what's the "terminal paste"?

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    Can you tell me what do you use to reflow? Do you have hot air/IR station or just blow it with heatgun?

what's the "terminal paste"?

i use a heat gun to refow but you have to be very carefull doing it because if you do it wrong you could totally wreck the playstation
    here is a link to fully explain what therminal paste is
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

i use a heat gun to refow but you have to be very carefull doing it because if you do it wrong you could totally wreck the playstation
    here is a link to fully explain what therminal paste is
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease

I think Docentore is fully aware of what thermal paste ie :D He was only pulling your leg when you said terminal paste, over thermal paste :)

Heat gun method wont last, well it normally doesn't. The IR station is the only way to have any hope of a permanent fix, but thats way beyond most peoples level of equiptment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think Docentore is fully aware of what thermal paste ie :D He was only pulling your leg when you said terminal paste, over thermal paste :)

Heat gun method wont last, well it normally doesn't. The IR station is the only way to have any hope of a permanent fix, but thats way beyond most peoples level of equiptment etc.
    heat gun wont last and will only do more damage because it causes board warp and thermal shock.
    firstly becasue you have no underheater to heat the board from underneath and secondly you can't control the output of a heat gun if the heat gun if its says 200 degrees on the heat gun thats whats coming out of the nozzle by the time it get to your board you mightn't even be hitting reflow temperature.
    and the heatgun pushes out too much air and actually dosent let the solder balls reflow as well as a rework station would.
    get it done by somebody with a rework station.

does anybody want it..... got a new ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'll take it off ya next time you're in Dublin if that's alright. I'll PM you my number!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

if Wez won't take it I will be happy to use it for parts. Can pick up in Dublin (weather permitting)

thanks

Sorry lads forgot to say you can have it with 2 controllers and org box for 60euro... not giving it away for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sorry lads forgot to say you can have it with 2 controllers and org box for 60euro... not giving it away for free...

If it's umodded use adverts.ie please.

Advertisement