Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about my Cocker Spaniel

Options
  • 24-11-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My Cocker is usually very independent but over the last two nights he has become very clingy, he won't leave my side and constantly wants to be up on my lap. He is 3 years old and usually very energetic, has any one got and ideas what could be wrong with him?????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Has something changed in the household or his routine that is putting him out?

Is he off his food?

Is he being left on his own more often than he was?

Could someone have intimidated him when you were not around?

Or maybe he just wants more body heat now that the weather has got colder :-)

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It has been very cold the past week or so, perhaps your dog just want some home comforts. Try a heating pad or hot water bottle to see if he is just looking for some heat. Any change in circumstance could also be the reason for his strange behaviour - moving house, a new baby, someone leaving home, change in routine - has there been a change in circumstances recently? He could be feeling vulnerable and need some comfort.

Have you ruled out medical problems? Often, a sudden behaviour change is a sign of a dog is in pain or discomfort. If it continues, a trip to the vet would be in order to make sure all is well health wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi Gollum, I have a Cocker Spaniel also and while she is always very affectionate, she does go through phases were she is extra clingy and a bit morose. When she gets like this, all she wants to do is sit in my lap and cuddle. It's funny, when she is in good humour, she prefers my hubby, but when she gets like this, all she wants is her mum! Very little can put dogs out of shape, Libby knows that when our suitcases are out, we are going away and she gets a bit depressed! It could be something very simple like that.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, I think dogs are like humans and sometimes have an 'off day'. If he otherwise seems in good health and is eating, then I wouldn't worry about it. If he is also off his food or it continues for more than a few days, then maybe a visit to the vet would put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Sindy was a bit like that last week. I think she just had a little cold or something small. I watched her food, her poops, and what she drank. Inside her ears felt a bit hotter than usual but not as bad as when she's been really sick.
    Then she woke up on Saturday and she was all fine.
    You know your dog best and so long as he is eating, drinking, pooping and doesn't seem sick I wouldn't worry. Still if you're worried a quick vet visit will set your mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

yip my cocker went through the same thing a few weeks ago. She had actually hurt her leg on a mad jumping session. she was still putting weight on it and all so the vet reckoned it was just a sprained muscle - could it be something like this? Think she was just feeling sorry for herself and wanting extra cuddles :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement