Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good rpg for pc.

Options
  • 24-11-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests i'm looking for a good rpg for the pc, i've played a lot of them so far including Balder's gate 1 and 2, icewind dale 1 and 2 KotOR 1+2 dragon age, Bloodlines, morrowind, oblivion, fallout series etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you haven't tried The Witcher yet, you really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

You could get Alpha Protocol on Steam, only €7.50 for 4 more hours. not a great game but its only 7 quid.

That or Mass Effect 1 + 2 if you've not played them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Another one to look at is gothic if you liked oblivion, seems to be a like it or hate it type game though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm assuming you've played Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape Torment? If you haven't theyare a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm assuming you've played Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape Torment? If you haven't theyare a good place to start.

Retro: Did you actually get round to playing this?

If so I want a full report in the form of a mini-review on my desk monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

quarryman wrote: »
    Retro: Did you actually get round to playing this?

If so I want a full report in the form of a mini-review on my desk monday.
    after playing that game it left me feeling hollow inside, as I knew it would be years until I found a game as good as it. Torment is still my favourite game for story, packaged in with a solid rpg, and some nice take on game mechanics.

have played the game 3 times thru, and each time I found out more and more stuff I had not uncovered the first time round.

Just sorry that it ended :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

bellylint wrote: »
    after playing that game it left me feeling hollow inside, as I knew it would be years until I found a game as good as it. Torment is still my favourite game for story, packaged in with a solid rpg, and some nice take on game mechanics.

have played the game 3 times thru, and each time I found out more and more stuff I had not uncovered the first time round.

Just sorry that it ended :(

I felt the same way about Ultima 7. However it didnt end for me because I couldnt bloody finish it.

It was enormous. It was one of the first non linear games I played and I was shocked at its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jumpy wrote: »
    I felt the same way about Ultima 7. However it didnt end for me because I couldnt bloody finish it.

It was enormous. It was one of the first non linear games I played and I was shocked at its size.
    I think I finished Ultima 7 about 5 years after I bought it. Hell of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I finished Ultima 7 too, only because I cheated and teleported into the final battle room :D. That last dungeon was a nightmare, I never could find a way through it. Epic game, all RPGs should have a magic carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paracelso

I agree with Torment, and I can also suggest Neverwinter Night 2. I enjoyed Temple of Elemental Evil as well, but it's bloody difficult to finish. Arcanum is another interesting one.

I'm personally a great fan of old CRPG and I think playing Ultima is a good way to start to the old school feeling. But if you want to enjoy play Ultima and you don't fancy the graphics you can always have a look to the modern restyling of Ultima V (lazarus) and Ultima VI. They have been completely ported to 3d and they are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

+1 for Torment

Who could forget the baby oil in the curios shop "Freshly squeezed from babies"

+1 for Arcanum

Tech or Magic. multiple ways to play.

Both re-playable !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Two worlds 2 is enjoyable, Drakensang the dark eye is passable also. As was mentioned on another thread, the Nehrim mod for oblivion is pretty much a new game, better than Oblivion itself in my opinion due to the monsters not being scaled to level.

If your doing the retro games you missed thing then Wizardry 8 is my all time favourite and well worth checking out.

Personally I am ready for a martial arts RPG, something totally open world like morrowind. Jade empire touched off it but was very sandboxed, hopefully bethsoft will supprise sex black isle studios someday and this can be their love baby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Torchlight perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dragon Age or the witcher. both very amazing games

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

The Gothic series are good RPG flicks, except for III and Arcania. I'd recommend Risen too.

They're not D&D or anything, so not hardcore RPGs if that's what your into.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

Vicxas wrote: »
    Dragon Age or the witcher. both very amazing games

I've just ordered Dragon Age Origins plus Awakenings as well as Total War: Medieval II for the PC. I don't know when I'll get the time to play them...

Advertisement