Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Macbook Question

Options
  • 24-11-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My friend is getting me a Macbook in the states.

Is it possible to get a Macbook with a black bezel around the screen, or are macbooks just all white.

Also, is a backlit keyboard an option on the Macbook or is that just the Pro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think the Pro is your only option. It's only $200 more.

The black bezel and backlit keyboard are only on the Pro AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

basquille wrote: »
    I think the Pro is your only option. It's only $200 more.

The black bezel and backlit keyboard are only on the Pro AFAIK.

How about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Apple-13-3-Macbook-Unibody-2-4GHz-160Gb-2GB-DVDRW-6116-/330500207314?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item4cf358f2d2#ht_3677wt_1066

It seems to be a regular macbook but has a black bezel around the screen?

Hmmm.. don't recognise that. Looks more like a MacBook Pro.

It must have been discontinued - this is the MacBook on sale now

basquille wrote: »
    Hmmm.. don't recognise that. Looks more like a MacBook Pro.

It must have been discontinued - this is the MacBook on sale now

This one is the same: http://www.adverts.ie/133686/mac/free-carry-case-macbook-alu-13-aluminum-unibody-mb466b-a/

Had my heart set on a new one ...but love the black :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That's an old 2008 Macbook. Apple no longer sell it. If you want this model you'll have to get it second-hand. In 2009 Apple rebranded the aluminium Macbook as a Macbook Pro, dropping the price and adding a Firewire port, superior built-in battery and backlit keyboard as standard. The only regular Macbook that Apple currently sell is the white Plasticbook.

It seems the plan was originally to replace the plastic with aluminium, but Apple had trouble getting the price low enough to justify killing the Plasicbook and then the recession happened. So they kept the plastic and bumped the aluminium model into the Pro line.

Get the Macbook Pro. It's well worth the extra 150.

• Advertisement

Here's a Google cache of the model on Dabs.. it says it's been discontinued.

See here!

I have the White Macbook.. and believe me, pay the extra for the Pro. The polycarbonate body of the MacBook is common to snapping, fraying, becoming yellow and just downright poor quality, whereas the aluminium body of the Pro is much more reliable and durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

That's the discontinued unibody MacBook. I have one myself. They added an SD slot, backlit keyboard and a Firewire port to make it a Pro. I'd buy a 13 inch pro over the white plastic MacBook anyday.

Edit: Apple are having a sale on Friday!

Hi lads,

Thanks for all the replies.

Truth be told, I have a new Air. This is for my 15 year old brother. He's saved up and really wants a Macbook.

A Pro is out of the question unfortunately.

If ye had a choice would you go for brand new Macbook from the States (750 euro).

Or the one thats for sale on adverts ...with the aluminum body and black bezel?

I'd go for the alu on adverts. Mine is 2 years old and still tip top. The unibody case is sexy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If the Pro is out of the question, get the new Plasticbook. The enclosure is crap but it's worth it just for the superior battery life.

• Advertisement

Refurb Pro with 1 year guarantee for 1019 dollars:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

stimpson wrote: »
    Refurb Pro with 1 year guarantee for 1019 dollars:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

Order complete :D

Thanks a mill!

Advertisement