Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland snow reports winter 2010/11

Options
  • 24-11-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

As snow is expected on higher ground in the coming days, if you see any on a hill near you let us know. Had a look at Kippure on Dublin/Wicklow border today and some ice or maybe snow near top but summit obscured by cloud.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 grifto rifto2

Yeah I'm really hoping for it, the english are getting loads, damn the gulf stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Great idea for a thread - after the last two years I'm hoping for some good days, and one place to collect the reports is definitely worthwhile.

I'm at the foothills of the mountains in South West Dublin, just off the M50 - no sign of anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Looking at rte weather this evening looks like possibility of some east coast snow later tonight with more over the next few days, fingers crossed!

The snow has landed in South Dublin, just enough to cover the ground. The Dublin mountains are covered in dark cloud, maybe they are being dumped on!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 grifto rifto2

Yeah it snowed in bray but its not even covering ground. Stopped now too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Waterford, Kilkenny, Carlow and parts of wexford covered in lots of the white stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Was skiing down in the Ski Club in Kilternan today and it was fantastic !

A picture tells a thousand words, some photos, only one of them mine

South Wicklow today, looks like decent skiable cover
    PB270015.JPG

This one shows Lughnachoille,
    PB270014.JPG

PB270009.JPG

The ski club this morning taken by Fattes
    76523_1715623414941_1368871577_1821376_2226966_n.jpg

Blessington Lake and North Wicklow mtns
    154671_462477924316_584929316_5674568_3464657_n.jpg

The Sally Gap looking towards Kippure
    image0221.jpg

My local duck pond in Dublin with fresh tracks (duck tracks!)
    148501_462478244316_584929316_5674573_6655955_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I drove up military road a little bit today (unfortunately later than I intended so too dark for photos. Road was patchy but I was able to progress. Coudln't really tell how good the cover was but I'd say tomorrow will be awesome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was up the Wicklow mountains earlier this morning. Walked up through Ballinastow woods and past the memorial along the sleepers up to the top of Djouce.

There is prob 3-5 inchs or snow up there but there is nothing like last year. You could probably get a few tracks in the forest along the access roads but up near Luggala there is still a lot of heathers showing and lots of hollows around the place.

Maybe if there is more snow over the next few days and winds pick up to blow the snow into the hollows it will be good for next weekend. I think that the same amount of snow is falling at lower level as up the hills, well it certainally appears to be no more up there than in my garden!!

Ps. Although it is probably less likely to melt up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Enough snow in the wicklow mountains this morning for a nice little run on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBmYnK1p30

Skied military road today on side of Kippure beside the lakes, good conditions on piste (road) but still needs more offpiste (in the bog). If you are going up there would recommend 4 WD or chains, can be a little tricky otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

rossc007 wrote: »
    Enough snow in the wicklow mountains this morning for a nice little run on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBmYnK1p30

Whereabouts was that? Looks nice. I got some runs in at Kilakee, but the grass is quite long so the snow doesn't quite cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

got a few runs in up the road near kilakee but snow coverage is poor - nothing on last year. hopefully we get some more snow this week.

anyone know anywhere selling chains?

got a few runs in up the road near kilakee but snow coverage is poor - nothing on last year. hopefully we get some more snow this week.

anyone know anywhere selling chains?

For chains online your best bet, winter tyres can also be effective and less hassle again online or maybe ask a garage have they any.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Whereabouts was that? Looks nice. I got some runs in at Kilakee, but the grass is quite long so the snow doesn't quite cover it.

http://goo.gl/maps/FF5J

on the small road there heading west off Kilakee road. There was a nice covering, about 2 inches, good run though. The road gets steeper further down, got about a 3 minute ride out of the first section. I wouldn't bother with it unless you had a jeep though, its a looooong walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

For chains online your best bet, winter tyres can also be effective and less hassle again online or maybe ask a garage have they any.

Make sure to get a decent gauge snow chain. My brother used a 9mm chain on saturday on the way to the sallygap from roundwood. The chain snapped! :eek: ended up slideing backwards down the hill. Luckily managed to steer away from a wall and got back to flat ground.

The snowsocks could be a good option too? Anyone tried them on steep hills?

WEATHER ADVISORY
    Heavy snowfalls expected tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night in east Leinster with accumulations of 5-10cm of snow in inland locations and 10-20cm in Counties Louth and Dublin and 15-25cm in County Wicklow.

Thats the met eireann weather warning for tonight and tommorrow. There will be strong winds too, looks like the wicklow mountains could get a foot or two since there higher up.
    Kippure should be fully ready for snowsports after that! :D

Photos from yesterday's adventure on Military Road, Could ski from the the top Lough Bray right down to Glencree, not sure of exact distance but longer than longest run in some resorts!

Freshly pisted for fast skiing
    150288_462948929316_584929316_5683212_589017_n.jpg

best to stay on the left
    149836_462949179316_584929316_5683215_3124822_n.jpg

150389_462949859316_584929316_5683224_416313_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Has anyone got any updates on conditions in Wicklow Mountains. I'm planning on heading up Friday, have snow chains now for my 4x4 so am hopeful of making it far into the snow mountains.

• Advertisement

I heard there was 2 foot of snow on the road in Donard area of West Wicklow and only tractors could move in that depth according to a local, probably 3 foot by now.

I wouldn't mind an adventure tomorrow myself but my car is having trouble getting out of the drive at the moment and still haven't chains! But other problem is enough clearance over the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Here is a photo from a friend in Donard

Here is a photo from a friend in Donard

Hard to believe thats Ireland. I wonder what the depths are like above at the sally gap now.
    Looks like there will be a slight thaw at low altitudes next week, but since high pressure is going to set itself up then, the snow shouldnt melt at all in the mtns. Heres hoping :)

Re Donard photo it looks like that in many parts of Dublin now! Tomorrow looks like another snowy day but maybe clearing up at weekend so maybe some more roads ploughed and better day for a back country trek. Today I built a kicker in Bushy Park, bit of craic but the place is polluted with annoying sledders.

Hard to believe thats Ireland. I wonder what the depths are like above at the sally gap now.
    Looks like there will be a slight thaw at low altitudes next week, but since high pressure is going to set itself up then, the snow shouldnt melt at all in the mtns. Heres hoping :)

Just heard on the radio that 5 lads are stuck in the Sally Gap and mountain resue on the way to them.

Careful now people!!

Just heard on the radio that 5 lads are stuck in the Sally Gap and mountain resue on the way to them.

Careful now people!!

If its anything like last year with 5foot drifts on the main sallygap road. Then the only way to get up there was drive to glencree and walk the rest of the way up.

EDIT: "This evening at 11.40pm rescuers reached the 5 young men whose two SUV's had both become trapped in snow drifts near Lough Bray on the north side of the Sally Gap."
    Looks like the had just gone past glencree when they got caught in drifts. That area is always builds up big drifts alright.

If its anything like last year with 5foot drifts on the main sallygap road. Then the only way to get up there was drive to glencree and walk the rest of the way up.

EDIT: "This evening at 11.40pm rescuers reached the 5 young men whose two SUV's had both become trapped in snow drifts near Lough Bray on the north side of the Sally Gap."
    Looks like the had just gone past glencree when they got caught in drifts. That area is always builds up big drifts alright.

Wonder if they had shovels and carpet and such things with them or were just taking a spin ?

Was up a the ski club this morning, fully cover bar the middle section of top green area. Great to be able to blast down hard packed snow, the kickers are snow covered and in action also.

Hiked Tonlagee today, amazing scene with everywhere iced in white. More surprising was the Wicklow Gap was open, ploughed and in good shape with no ice. Snow was a little crusty but a good base of maybe 40cm. Say several boarders and a few ski tourers up there also.

• Advertisement

40cm!!! Wow!!

Ok so - would some landowner up there do the decent thing and install a ski lift or even offer a 4X4 service up the mountain from a park and ski spot. I'll pay money for that.

Come on some entrepeneur get the first Irish ski season off to a proper start!!!:D

Advertisement