Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding the weanling- high fibre, oil/low starch

Options
  • 24-11-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi

Our ISH foal (8mths) has been eating speedibeet, alpha a chaff and vit supplement/various foal mixes, plus some corn oil (and haylage/ plus turnout but no grass left). Started eating mares feed, then got his own bowl. Weaning commenced this week, with foal and mare separated during day. Ideally want to stay with same diet as my mares or at least, an all-in-one low starch balancer/mix or cubes to keep it simple.

1) Not sure if this diet is sufficiently balanced (protein levels, calcium phosphorous, minerals) and what is best to supplement with (balancer for additional protein or just a mineral/vit supplement) - either a general one or one specifically for weanlings and ideally with a probiotic to assist with weaning.

2) If a foal/weanling mix /balancer is best (to avoid doing umpteen spreadhseet calculations), can anyone recommend one which is low in starch and good balance of minerals/vits without having to "overfeed" (I found Baileys stud mix/cubes/balancer too much for my mare and foal is already quite big, but not fat)

Ideally, something available mail order would be great.

If you can't help specifically with my query, what are you feeding your weanling?

thx for help.

Advertisement