Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of fitting an alarm...

Options
  • 24-11-2010 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Okay, I've set up IP cams but the nighttime motion is tough to control and not working as well as I'd hope...let alone when plugged onto Jabbakam. So am moving to the next stage which is to fit an alarm system. HELP!!!

The house is not wired up so was thinking of a wireless solution, but seeing that PIR's, etc., are a bit thirsty I'm heading towards a part wired solution. I'm an Electronic Engineer so can figure out wiring without to much issue (I would hope)

The house is a bungalow, but will be dormer'd and also planning on an extension so will need to be able to extend the system. There is also a detached garage 15m away from the house which I'd also like to include. The phone system is a wireless eircom thing with backup, but GSM sounds like a good option. Broadband is on a microwave solution to so I could bring the system onto the WAN...not critical though. I'm also not to concerned about controlling other things in the house either.

I'll be heading off over Xmas and want to try to get a system part fitted, probably just PIR's in the house.

house: 2 external doors, 1 french door. 9 windows, 6 rooms and a hall.
    garage: main roller door, entry door. 3 windows.

Suggestions? Approximate prices? Where to get stuff from? Is it realistic that I can get it fitted quickly? Galway based.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

It would also work out cheaper if you where to cable for as much as you can, HKC SECUREWAVE, SIGNET would be two good hybrid panels on the market. The SIGNET 220 will also give you remote access to the alarm through the internet but is more expensive. With a GSM fitted to either type of alarm you would have remote access for setting/unsetting plus get alarm texts if the alarm activates.

Even if you wanted to get either panel and put in a few wire free beams while your away, you can always add on to the system when you get the rest of the cables in.

I would not know of any supplier of alarm equipment down your way but if you ring the manufacturers of the panel you decide to use they will be able to tell you of the nearest stockiest. Price wise they will be able to give you a full price once you decide what you want to install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 shamdiver

Thanks Altor. Doesn't appear to be anyone over in the West!

Is that what the manufacturers said ?

There is National Automation in Roscommon, other than that though all Dublin or Cork based. That was a direct response from HKC and Europlex.

Sorry to hear that but the money you will save travelling to get the equipment will be worth it. Just make sure you make a list of what you need so your not doing two journeys :D

• Advertisement

Yes, I'll be making a list for a change instead of trying to remember it all!!

Over what range does the wireless operate? I was hoping to drop a PIR and door senser into the garage which is 15m to 20m away from the house. I'd be putting the control box in the loft so it should have clear sight.

Does the list below the first post sound sensible for a 3bed house, lounge, hall kitchen and 2 bathrooms.
    3xPIR: Hall, lounge, garage
    4xDoor entries: Front, rear, side and garage doors
    9xWindow vibration: All ground floor windows
    2xKeypad: House, garage
    1xControl unit
    1xGSM or maybe hardline
    3xfobs
    6 or 8core wire

Should I look at window openings as well, or will the shock sensors be enough?

Cheers

The best thing to do is set up the alarm on the battery and range test the sensors. 15-20 meters should be ok but its always best to test before you install. 6 core would be enough, just dont loop to many windows together as if you do have any problems it will make it harder to fault find. That is up to you with regard openings. If your looking at covering them how will the cable look when its ran on the window ? A shock sensor fitted correctly should provide the correct cover once the window is closed.

I was planning on using wireless for the windows rather than trying to fit cabling in...I don't fancy having to drill through the cavity and wallplate!

I can always drop a wire through to the garage if its not detecting, is it okay to put an alarm cable alongside an armoured power cable?

shamdiver wrote: »
    I was planning on using wireless for the windows rather than trying to fit cabling in...I don't fancy having to drill through the cavity and wallplate!

I can always drop a wire through to the garage if its not detecting, is it okay to put an alarm cable alongside an armoured power cable?

Low voltage cable should not ran with mains power cables. Another thing to note is if you install the control panel in the attic it need to be covered by a pir as the attic would be classed outside the protected area.

Thanks for the advice Altor. I expect I'll be posting more queries up as I go along!!

• Advertisement

shamdiver wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Altor. I expect I'll be posting more queries up as I go along!!

Your welcome shamdiver, if you do need any help feel free to ask. You will get a lot of help here :D

Advertisement