Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF - few questions

Options
  • 24-11-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey all -

I recently applied for the PDF but was un-succesful after my interview!

I am now considering joining the RDF to gain some experience, which may help if i apply for the PDF again

- How long must I stay in the RDF, before applying/joining the PDF?

- will been a member of the RDF improve my chances of been accpeted into the PDF?

22/male

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Kingdom_of _oriel

First of all hard luck with your application and fair play for not getting dis-heartened.
    As far as I am aware there is no minimal time needed to have been served in the RDF before applying for the PDF. The defence forces would look on service with the RDF as favourable as it shows interest and commitment in an future career.
    Did you get a reasoning for being unsuccessful?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Hard luck Heno161, The competition for places is as tough as ever at the moment.

I would strongly advise joining the RDF to increase your chances for the next time. I know that for the cadet competition candidates who are Privates in the RDF get a bonus mark of 2% and NCOs in the RDF get 3%.

I'm not sure of the same for general enlistment. I did a quick Google but couldn't find anything but I presume the same bonus marks apply.

Besides the bonus mark which will be a good help, You will have loads of examples to talk about in the interview regarding your time in the RDF.

Oh ya there is no minimum time required to apply for PDF

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Heno161

First of all hard luck with your application and fair play for not getting dis-heartened.
    As far as I am aware there is no minimal time needed to have been served in the RDF before applying for the PDF. The defence forces would look on service with the RDF as favourable as it shows interest and commitment in an future career.
    Did you get a reasoning for being unsuccessful?

Yea the reason was there was a limited number of places for a large amount of applicants! so it said on the email anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Kingdom_of _oriel

Heno161 wrote: »
    Yea the reason was there was a limited number of places for a large amount of applicants! so it said on the email anyway

Hard luck all the same. The RDF can be very rewarding as well and a great introduction into what Army life is like plus you get to do alot of the fun stuff without the BS. I hope the RDF are recruiting soon if not there's always the Foreign Legion or the British Army (if you don't care about politics).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 biobuzz

yeah the RDF is gud aul craic
    dispite the embargo some units still take a small number of recruits
    just go into your local office
    but since your 22 you have very little time left to go for the PDF
    it may be abit late in the year for recruitment to the RDF as it usally happens around september and the recruit training doesn't happen till the summer months
    your probaly better off just to go for th PDF before you reach the age limit

• Advertisement
Advertisement