Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - €40 for new battery?!

Options
  • 24-11-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, our phonewatch alarm started to warn us that the back up battery was low. I called Eircom who said they'd come out to change it- no call out charge but €40 for the battery. I rang back to query if I could source a battery myself and they were very reluctant to tell me what kind of battery it is - the most I got out of them was 'a 12 volt rechargeable panel battery'. A quick google of this kind of battery leads me to think I could pick one up for about €15. The Eircom rep told me even if i can source one, the engineer won't fit it.

Does anyone know anything about these batteries? What type are they and has anyone ever sourced one themselves?

Thanks a million for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

This thread might help - the lads here helped me replace a battery recently on my system - was very simple once the panel is accessible. The PW system may be different

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056059878

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

You need either a 6V 1.3 or 3.8AH SLA battery. I can supply the 1.3AH ex stock but the 3.8 AH is very difficult to source locally - I can supply you a 6V 2.9AH with the same dimensions as the 3.8AH which is what the majority of people are using to replace the original batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

barnmouse wrote: »
    Hi, our phonewatch alarm started to warn us that the back up battery was low. I called Eircom who said they'd come out to change it- no call out charge but €40 for the battery. I rang back to query if I could source a battery myself and they were very reluctant to tell me what kind of battery it is - the most I got out of them was 'a 12 volt rechargeable panel battery'. A quick google of this kind of battery leads me to think I could pick one up for about €15. The Eircom rep told me even if i can source one, the engineer won't fit it.

Does anyone know anything about these batteries? What type are they and has anyone ever sourced one themselves?

Thanks a million for any help!

To be honest to get a call out and to replace the battery should cost more so I would say for a change your getting a deal off them. If you do want to replace the battery yourself I would need to know the panel the battery is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barnmouse

Thanks for the replies. I found a 12v rechargeable battery in Peats for €35 -

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=3184&sid=13&cid=148&scid=346

so I'm starting to think I was too hasty in suspecting a rip off, for once.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Peats & Maplins would be dear enough for these. Any alarm or electrical suppliers will be cheaper. Where are you located?
    Take a look at the suppliers list here.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I found a 12v rechargeable battery in Peats for €35 -

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=3184&sid=13&cid=148&scid=346

so I'm starting to think I was too hasty in suspecting a rip off, for once.

Can you tell me what system it is for as none of the batteries in your link fit any wire free system Eircom use ? I would not be buying any batteries in peats. Anywhere that sells alarms will always offer you better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barnmouse

It's a Simon 3 series Security System, the manual mentions GE security too.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the simon takes a 6 volt battery, they are notoriously difficult to get over here. they are a perticular size that clip into a space behind the pcb attached to the inner lid. i have a few spare here so if your stuck gimme a pm and ill sort ye out. i have tried peats, maplins, reliable, borsatec and a few others to get these so you can count out any of the above.

ps the 12v 7.2 amp batt you priced in peats at 35 euro is about twice the size and the wrong voltage, that same battery in an electric wholesaler is about 14 euro.

It's a Simon 3 series Security System, the manual mentions GE security too.

There is no where in Ireland except Eircom that stock this battery, I have a load of them as I use to install them. Here is a place that sell them plus they will deliver to Ireland. It is the same battery just different name and code :D

Advertisement