Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enforcement in You Laugh, You Lose

Options
  • 24-11-2010 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭

Without wanting to seem like we are neglecting the rest of the forum but this is the thread that causes the most work and annoyance amongst people, the rest of the forum ticks along nicely with minimal Mod work required

So given that we had a discussion about what to do with chat in YLYL and it was decided that chat was to be allowed we now have to decide what to do about the bitching and moaning that people don't want to be kept

So far we have been deleting and snipping any bitching and moaning and quoting of pics that we come across and that people report (and thanks for reporting stuff, it is very helpful) and leaving it at that bar PM'ing people asking them to stop if we see repeat behaviour

Unfortunately this doesn't prevent it, it seems that despite the Mod notes in the first post people can't help themselves and feel they must express their opinion rather than jsut scrolling on to the next pic so it would seem that the only way that people will be stopped from cluttering up the thread with complaints and quoted pics is if we get heavy handed as trusting people to regulate themselves just hasn't worked

So what I would like out of these thread is a bit of discussion about what is the appropriate action to take when people don't/wont/can't follow the rules of the thread?

I am not going to put up a poll with options but I would like people's opinions here as to what they think is the right thing to do and we will sum everything up after a few days and we will make a decision and it will feed into a charter for the forum to give it a bit of direction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Some posters can be quite funny after quoting a picture, or making a remark after it..I wouldn't like to see them all get deleted or banned. But people who quote a picture and say "lol" just to get their post count up should be given some sort of warning.

Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

^+1, ive no problem if someone has a funy comment to go along with the picture.

What ruins it for me is when people say the "posted 2 days/1 month/6 pages ago" crap or "that meme is so last tuesday, its not funny anymore", IMO these should get 1 warning before a ban of some sort. Or maybe just insta-ban, if its put in the rules not to do it. It really ruins the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What way would pre-moderation affect your workload? As in some forums where your post will not be posted until flagged ok by a moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Pre-moderation would be a step too far, imo.

Comments with a brief explanation (or asking for one) or a related joke are fine. As has been said countless times, it's the "that's not funny" posts which really kill the mood.

I've seen such posts get deleted and then the same posters making similar comments with their next 'contribution'... do they get PM'd a warning when their post is removed? Regardless, I don't know how the rules can be missed by anyone at this stage. A short ban (even 1 or 2 days, probably enough as it's a pretty rapid-fire thread) handed out on the spot for any "not funny" posts could work wonders.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ColHol wrote: »
    What way would pre-moderation affect your workload? As in some forums where your post will not be posted until flagged ok by a moderator?

Cool vids was pre-moderated a few years back and it was really holding the forum back. I'd hate to see it happen again as I imagine it would kill the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think the links in the first post have too much wording in them, people wont read them, or click on them at all.

I'd do away with the links and just do a couple of large bullet points in the first post with the main problems, I don't think the original pic in the first post works anymore anyway so delete the original contents (or merge a mods older post in with the thread to make that the first post) and keep it short and simple.

Do not quote images
    No moaning / giving out about reposts - report them instead

If just they were adhered to it would make the thread a whole lot better imo. Bans / Infractions / Warnings lead to ill feeling and too much wasted time for the mods. Just keep snipping quoted images and moaning with a message in the edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cool vids was pre-moderated a few years back and it was really holding the forum back. I'd hate to see it happen again as I imagine it would kill the forum.
    Pretty sure Cool Vids was pre-moderated up until "the incident" earlier this year..

.. I remember it specifically.

But yeah, I'd hate to see it being pre-moderated again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

basquille wrote: »
    Pretty sure Cool Vids was pre-moderated up until "the incident" earlier this year..

.. I remember it specifically.

But yeah, I'd hate to see it being pre-moderated again.

I think you're wrong but it is possible (I over-estimated with a few years though). I can't remember the exact time we got rid of it. I could search but I couldn't be arsed, all I know is that it was doing the forum no favours and bringing it back would be awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I think that complaining, b*tching, saying not funny, quoting a pic to say lol or I lost so so hard etc. should be an automatic 1 day ban.

A one day ban is not too severe, but it will be enough to prevent people from continuing to do so.

I'd imagine, that given the post of the day is always from ylyl, that that is the reason we have so many people coming and not reading the mod note and just posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Sykk wrote: »
    Some posters can be quite funny after quoting a picture, or making a remark after it..I wouldn't like to see them all get deleted or banned. But people who quote a picture and say "lol" just to get their post count up should be given some sort of warning.

Just my two cents
    +1, lol.

Really though, if something bothers a poster, they report it. If they use it as an excuse to ramble on about a pictures comic value or lack there of a short ban from the forum should sort it out. Initially this might be a pain in the hole for mods but if people start seeing posts like
    fikay banned for 3 days for talking unmitigated balls
    and are incapable of realising that x balls talk is not permitted then perhaps YLYL isn't the place for them.
    Fair play to the lads who keep the thread going, always cheers me up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

the way i see is if you like a pic you thank it....simple as.
    IMO there is no need for the long conversations in YLYL or comments such as "lol" "hilarious" and in one case "+1". and they should be warned*, and then punished.

comments that add info or background to a picture are welcomed as well as the funny comments which somtimes are better than half the pictures.

*just for newcomers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Agreed. Some comments can actually be funnier than the pictures themselves especially when people have to ask for explanations.

But I hate going on to see "Omg I lost so bad!!" or "stop posting x,y and z it's not funny anymore!" I think comments that can be deemed to be empty (such as those ones) should be given a warning and if it happens again a one day ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

The only thing that bothers me is seeing the same post up page after page after page, like that "This is sparta!" post, i dont moan about it but its really really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

I came, I looked and I bloody laughed..until the tears ran down my leg...

Some, do not appeal, some people have a different sense of humour. Some are outrageous, some subtle........well, once or twice... but overall the moans are ..well, you just skim past, time is too short to get into a frenzy about someone else's sense of humour or lack of knoweledge as to what has been posted.

One day ban would not achieve anything..... restricted from posting within YLYL for a set period, three day minimum to possible five would bring home the futility of posting comments.

Is it possible to program the thread to only accept images? Then any comments would have to be in pictorial form, cartoon, picture or image?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Fracture wrote: »
    The only thing that bothers me is seeing the same post up page after page after page, like that "This is sparta!" post, i dont moan about it but its really really annoying.

If you report those pics which are recently posted we will snip them

if it hasn't been posted too recently I generally leave them as I don't want to be too hard on people who may not have read all the thread and are genuinely trying to contribute and a lot of times they get thanks as others haven't seen them either

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, I will get around to responding to them all this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Change thread title to "You Laugh, You Lose **pics only & no moaning!**"

Snip pics posted in the last 3 pages. (Can't possible expect posters to check any further back than that).

Short Ban for people who moan/complain (it's effectively trolling anyway).

Short mod post every few pages reminding people of the rules. (Copy n' paste).

There will likely be a few bans at first, but in time almost all posters will learn the rules and stick to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think its too hard to distinguish bitching. I HATE when somebody doesn't read the thread and posts a picture from ages ago that invariably gets repeated by fellow posters with the same idea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Like I said in the previous discussion thread the sniping reduces my enjoyment of the thread, it's supposed to be light-hearted and fun.

What about saying something like "NO PIC, NO POST. DO NOT QUOTE PICS, read mod note post 1". People are warned every time they click on the thread, and can't say they didn't read the rules if you need to infract/temp ban them as it's there for them to see every time. Also with this warning, the funny comebacks can stay, once the poster provides a funny pic themselves too to keep the flow of the thread going.

It must be tough keeping the thread in order, kudos to The Recliner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Recliner do you want us to report reposts? I often see reposts but I always think the Report button is a bit severe for that, and I don't want to look like a moanbag :o

Anyway, I don't think people who reposts pictures should be banned/infracted, as not everyone is going to want to read the ENTIRE thread before posting a picture. I think just snipping the pictures the way you're doing at the moment is good.

The moaners and bitchers definitely deserve bans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I like a smart comment about a photo every now and then, put still stand by the belief that every single post must contain a picture. The majority of posters are going along with this anyway. If you don't get the joke then you should be allowed ask, or at least linked to the theme or meme.
    The annoying ones are when you have 3 or 4 posts in a row with no pictures of people complaining that something was already posted or pointing out a flaw.

Still kinda 50/50 on posts being snipped or removed. Both have their merits and faults.
    Snipped: Can be given a reason as to why,but still taking up space in the thread.
    Removed: Space is reclaimed, but the poster wont be sure why.
    • Pointing out a flaw? Do it with a picture.
    • Posted recently? Recliner will more than likely get to it, if not report it.
    • Don't find it funny? Keep feckin movin so!
    • Find it against your taste and want to complain because you are insulted? Develop a sense of humour then come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I think a 1 or 2 week ban for each offence, even if it is the first time. Yes it may be a bit harsh (some may think, I actually think it's lenient), but YLYL is prob the most loved thread in AH if not all of boards so we have to preserve it. People are not just ignoring mod warnings, they are being assholes and trolling with all that crap. As people read down through the whole thread a few "Mr X banned for 1 week for quoting large pic" etc will get the point across. Maybe 1 week for quoting large pic, 2 weeks for bitching.

Banning is the best way as it punishes these trolls and prevents them from posting more crap. And ultimately, what do we care, they weren't contibuting to the forum anyway and were actually removing the enjoyment of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

not to hijack the thread but should the same rules apply to the funny gifs thread?

Adam wrote: »
    not to hijack the thread but should the same rules apply to the funny gifs thread?

Not hijacking at all

You Laugh, You lose takes the most work and is the biggest Mod overhead which is why I started the thread about it

But the discussion here will be used to feed into a charter that I plan for the forum

I think we are going to have to apply the same rules to the likes of the Gif's and Youtube thread, they generally trundle along merrily of their own accord but if people are going to spoil it then rules will have to be applied and we should have a consistant rules set for those type of threads so that people are aware of them but I am not sure they will be applicable to the random threads that pop up

Basically the forum needs a bit of direction, a purpose if you will rather than being a dumping ground for crap which it can sometimes be

I will do up a summary of the thoughts of this thread this evening and then open a discussion on the propsed charter

Ok so the general gist is that people agree that moaning/b!tching needs to be stopped and bans etc are the way to go

The severity of the bans needs to be decided but we will figure that out and they will more than likely operate on an increasing scale for repeat offenders

Everyone seems happy enough with a small bit of chat in the thread such as asking what something means and funny comments etc

We don't want to have to ban people but the message doesn't seem to be getting through so we don't really have a choice

I am going to throw up a thread about a charter soon so this will be written into it so people will not have the excuse of not having read the rules of the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement