Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Photoshop

Options
  • 24-11-2010 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is common knowledge to UCD students, but I'm in 3rd year and never knew about it. We all have photoshop for free in UCD connect.:) After you log in, go to 'Software Applications' and click on 'Software for U', then click on Adobe Photoshop and it's yours:D:D:D (Just thought you all should know)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Oh.....this is nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Holy God! Hes right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There is more software available for UCD students via the same channel if other people are interested. Also, anybody that looks up the software available on NAL might be surprised at what is available on PCs in UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Well some people are living under a rock, I found that out at the IT induction when I was starting last year. Although they didn't specifically mention that photoshop was on the system, just a little looking around and there it was; a nice free edition of photoshop on the UCD server, YUM!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is it running in the Citrix environment or can you download it fully to your computer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's in the Citrix environment. If you log in to a UCD PC, there's an icon in the system tray with a menu of apps. I haven't tried running PS specifically, but other apps I've tried have been extremely slow. For example, Maple takes over 5 minutes to start up. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I've been using MATLab through it for an assignment that was due today and it's a massive pain. Thankfully got an extension, so leaving it till I can get to a real copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Raphael wrote: »
    I've been using MATLab through it for an assignment that was due today and it's a massive pain. Thankfully got an extension, so leaving it till I can get to a real copy.

Have you tried octave? Might do the trick. It's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scuzzam

I might sound like a complete techno blonde but my computer says it cant open a .ica file... is there a program i need to get first so i can use these software downloads? and if what is it and where can i get it?

There used to be instructions on that web page: you have to install an extra bit of software from Citrix. See here: the bit you need is called "XenApp Online Plugin", and choose the one marked "Web" for Windows or Mac. This includes a browser plugin, so that you can launch the apps directly from the web page, but don't forget to restart your browser after installing the software.

PS: you don't need to go through UCD Connect, you can go straight to https://itapps.ucd.ie/ . Either way, though, working that way across the Internet is going to be a pain unless you have a really fast Internet connection. Otherwise I'd say it's really for emergencies only.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sean_K wrote: »
    Have you tried octave? Might do the trick. It's free.
    Rather not risk losing any compatibility, but thanks! Will be getting into college next week to work at it.

On the UCD PC's? Does that mean NAL is dead and buried or is it still around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Red Alert wrote: »
    On the UCD PC's? Does that mean NAL is dead and buried or is it still around?

Seems to be all migrated to Citrix now.

Oh dear... the performance is going be dreadful for some apps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

"your account has been disabled."
    any body any ideas as to why i cant get into software for U ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

munchie14 wrote: »
    "your account has been disabled."
    any body any ideas as to why i cant get into software for U ?

I wouldnt worry about it, its horribly slow for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

for freebies

http://www.getpaint.net

or for those using linux lookup pinta

Or you could use 'the gimp' and gimpshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know what version of PS it is? Is it the latest one? (CS5 or somethin?)

If you want, there are free Portable Apps that don't need full installation: you can install to a USB drive and run straight from there. You can also install them to your H: drive, but you need to watch you don't run out of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone know what version of PS it is? Is it the latest one? (CS5 or somethin?)

CS3 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

the software for U page wont load for me, just keeps saying loading.. been doing this for like 5 minutes... Cad e an sceal? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

how on earth does this work - what are the file names under? cant find where my friggin files are using photoshop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

download.com has everything you could ever want and more...

Advertisement