Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment/Homework Sweatshops

• 24-11-2010 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

http://www.realassignmentwriting.com/assignment/plan.php

AUSTRALIAN high school and university students are outsourcing their homework to sweatshops in India, Pakistan and Egypt which provide English essays and maths papers for as little as $2.
    Websites such as canadianessays.com, realassignment writing.com and dissertation india.com offer fixed-price tariffs or auction-style services where students put work out to tender and workers, mostly graduates from India and Pakistan, bid to take on the projects.
    Schools are powerless to stop cheaters using the outsourcing services because custom-made work cannot usually be detected by plagiarism software.
    Eight bizarre ways to put online freelancers to work
    Matt Barrie, founder of freelancer.com, a website designed to put small businesses in touch with affordable labour in emerging economies, said homework assignments were frequently submitted to his site.

"We get them all the time," he said. "As a lecturer myself, I really don't approve, but kids will be kids - they will always find a way to cheat.
    "There are students in India who will give answers for just a few dollars and I have seen maths questions answered for $2 a go."
    The Sunday Telegraph tracked down one worker offering his services, graduate Mohammed Ali Khan, 23, of Islamabad, Pakistan.
    He is turning out essays and papers for high school and university students, charging $2 per 100 words.
    "It's my part-time job," he said. "I get work from all over the world including Australia, the US and the UK.
    "I've done many jobs for Australian students," he said. "Australians mainly ask for university papers but I've done some high-school work, too."
    When asked how much he would charge for a 1000-word Year 12 English language essay, he said $US10.
    Academics are concerned about the new customised cheating factories on the net.
    "We take this very seriously but, sadly, it's no surprise," University of Western Sydney associate dean Craig Ellis said.
    "In the past five years there's been an explosion in sites where you can download pre-written assignments, but we have the mechanisms that allow us to cross-reference essays to identify this. But the trend towards custom-produced work at such low costs is particularly worrying because it is that much harder to spot."
    In Australia, Ozessay.com .au offers high-school papers at $16.79 per page with a two-month deadline, rising to $54 per page for PhD-standard work with a 24-hour deadline.
    It claims it is now working on essays and dissertations for 1000 Australian students.
    The NSW Department of Education warned that any students caught cheating would be given zero marks.
    "The Department emphasises to students the importance of the ethical use of technology both in and out of school," a spokesman said.
    "Parents have a responsibility to monitor their children's computer use while at home."

I've heard it all now..:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

This would have come in real useful when i was in secondary school....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I finished college in 2002 and it was around then. But only dearer, i think i was quoted $250 to do my dissertation, money i didn't have, so had to do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Sweatshop my arse. A sweatshop is where people are crowded together in untenable working conditions, given little breaks and forced to work hard labour. The people writing these assignments are making decent money for their country and probably working from home or in an internet cafe. Bit rich to call that a sweatshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Millicent wrote: »
    Sweatshop my arse. A sweatshop is where people are crowded together in untenable working conditions, given little breaks and forced to work hard labour. The people writing these assignments are making decent money for their country and probably working from home or in an internet cafe. Bit rich to call that a sweatshop.

It said somewhere there in the article about specially designed assignment factories or something. I can't be arsed to go back over it though to quote it. Can someone else do it for fiddy cent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

That is the best news I've heard all night!!!

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    It said somewhere there in the article about specially designed assignment factories or something. I can't be arsed to go back over it though to quote it. Can someone else do it for fiddy cent?

See, I only found this quote to say factories and it doesn't actually paint them as real factories:
    Academics are concerned about the new customised cheating factories on the net.

Writing sites are flooded with foreign writers, all willing to undercut native speakers in Ireland, the U.K. and the U.S. I've seen some happy to take jobs on in bulk, for 50c to $1 (about 70 cent in euro). The thing is, they can afford to take on work like that and make a decent enough living wage. To call them sweatshops is, IMO, disingenuous and misleading.

ETA: The rates I've described are for maybe 400-500 word articles and, in most cases, you definitely get what you pay for.

See, I only found this quote to say factories and it doesn't actually paint them as real factories:

Ah you found the correct sentance then. Congratulations! You have won yourself the opportunity to write the rest of my essay. Its due in tomorrow. Are you game?

Ah you found the correct sentance then. Congratulations! You have won yourself the opportunity to write the rest of my essay. Its due in tomorrow. Are you game?

Yes. But I'll go Irish rates and lowball it, cos I like ye. 40cent a word, plus late fee of 20%. :D I'm thinking that's €480 per every 1000 words. Deal?

Yes. But I'll go Irish rates and lowball it, cos I like ye. 40cent a word, plus late fee of 20%. :D I'm thinking that's €480 per every 1000 words. Deal?

It's pay by the hour. Now that I am on the dole, I'll be able to afford to pay you the minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Essay mills are nothing new, just shows people will always seek the line of least resistance.

• Advertisement

It's pay by the hour. Now that I am on the dole, I'll be able to afford to pay you the minimum wage.

Feck it, it's more than I'm making now. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

If you look hard enough, there's maths sites that will help you for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭szita2000

A Mate of mine has worked in India and he has had a friend who was a mechanic.
    he was well paid, earning roughly 1.50 euro a day...

This guy is earning heaps from what he is doing charging $2 per pop so I wouldn't call it a sweatshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was thinking of setting one of those up for the kids around my neighbourhood.

No matter how sh*t the work was that I gave them they wouldn't be able to say anything because they were cheating on their homework!

Also - if they came around to my house to complain I could totally just shut the door, lock it and hope they go away kick their asses!

Advertisement