Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT Transmission signal strength changing during test periods?

Options
  • 24-11-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I'm in Donegal receiving the DTT broadcasts [Millford specifically]. Normally these are received 100% perfect with not even the odd frame dropped using a professionally installed attic aerial and [I think] a head signal amplifier.

However, at about 6pm today for a short while the channels disappeared and the tv said "No signal". Occasionally you'd see a frame that was very badly pixelated and maybe only 5% of the screen filled.

Interestingly the tv's picking up the analogue stations pretty well. Not perfect, but full colour, good picture, teletext works perfectly. There was no degradation to the analogue performance at this time which makes me think that the aerial / tv itself is fine.

A few minutes later the DTT broadcasts returned to perfect as well. Is this kind of thing to be expected during the trial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Happens here from Mullaghanish occasionally too.

This is what the Saorview website says
    The trial service will operate for varying durations and will be subject to some variations and interruptions. Permanent transmissions will not commence until the full SAORVIEW service is formally launched in spring 2011.

Until ASO in 2012 some transmitters are power restricted so people in fringe reception areas may be subject to some interruption until then. When they do go full power some may lose their pictures at that time due to too much signal because of masthead amps etc.which were required for analogue or weak DTT reception e.g. Mullaghanish is expected to go from < 50kW to 200kW. This information is already included in RTÉ's brochure
    In some areas, digital transmissions are of higher powers than current analogue services broadcast from the same transmitter sites. In fringe reception areas, some installations my have a mast-head amplifier in place to boost the analogue signal. In cases where digital signals are stronger than the analogue signals, masthead amplifiers may overload. In such cases, the amplifier should be removed from the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Glad to hear it worked for you in Milford zaphod :) Are you in the town itself?

I had the same disruption from Holywell Hill at the same time yesterday so just a problem at the RTENL end.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

So yes, right in the town.

Advertisement