Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hannspree sj32dmbb MHEG5 question?

Options
  • 24-11-2010 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

This TV is MHEG5 compatible. But on selecting teletext for the RTE channels I only get normal Teletext and not the newer MHEG service with the programme showing in a right hand side window.

Any suggestions?

Comments

You might need to reset the TV back to factory settings and select UK during initial setup. But this will most likely move your channels into the 800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Thanks - it did move the digital channels to the 800s and the analogue ones at the 900s (so, oddly no channel 1 or 2 etc) but didn't sort out the MHEG issue....

Any other ideas? Or anyone know when RTE will fix this issue with selecting Ireland and tvs identifying MHEG first and teletext second?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not an RTE problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Contact Hannspree and ask them why the MHEG5 feature does not work here , they claim it does for all these SJ models below . May need a firmware fix.

http://www.hannspree.com/EU/EN/product_list.aspx?c=53705

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

Have the same problem with my 25 in Hannspree and i also have the problem whereby every time in put the TV on RTE1 or 2 page 888 of Aertel comes up and subtitles appear. Very very annoying......!!!

• Advertisement

Both of ye contact Hannspree about a firmware fix so. What software versions and models have ye got ...in case someone posts in here with newer firmware and hopefully no problems at all :)

Not sure - the TV was only purchased in DID last saturday and was a present for my dad so won't know 'til i pay him a visit. Should be the latest if only purchased but i know that may not be the case.

Maybe subtitling is switched to always on, that is what page 888 is. Turn that feature off. Report back on the result and the firmware version and MHEG5

breaux wrote: »
    Not sure - the TV was only purchased in DID last saturday and was a present for my dad so won't know 'til i pay him a visit. Should be the latest if only purchased but i know that may not be the case.

Some retailers have been selling TVs not made for 3 years as "New". Stuff can be in distribution chain for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

MENU -> FEATURES -> SUB-TITLE:

Analogue Subtitle: Off
    ** Also **
    1st Subtitle: Off
    2nd Subtitle: Off

and you are done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's a 19" and 28" Hannspree TV at work, which I will check tomorrow and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

Did anyone contact Hanspree about the MHEG5 ?

Ordered one on Thursday - forgot there was a question hanging over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

IS the tv set up in shop mode?Was given a demonstration of a tv in power city which said MHEG5 was on it but it did not work because it was set up for shop mode but when he changed it to home use mode the digital text worked fine.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Martin_F wrote: »
    Did anyone contact Hanspree about the MHEG5 ?

Ordered one on Thursday - forgot there was a question hanging over this.
    I did, but never got any replies.

SPAWKER wrote: »
    IS the tv set up in shop mode?Was given a demonstration of a tv in power city which said MHEG5 was on it but it did not work because it was set up for shop mode but when he changed it to home use mode the digital text worked fine.
    How did you do that.?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

The tv I was shown in power city was a Samsung not a Hanspree.
    Most tvs in shops are set up in shop mode to show the features of each tv,which appear on screen as little logos of each feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

I got a hanspree 32 in Nov but it had terrible lipsynch problems in certain situation (after several channel hops). DID swapped if for another one and the problem recurred so it must have been a firmware issue or something. DID weren't interested in helping to fix it, but offered value against a different manufacturer so we got rid of it and went for a philips 32.

No lipsynch problems and an altogether better TV viewing experience. Was disappointed DID couldn't fix up the hanspree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

In my opinion stay clear from hannspree, a load were sold through a local retailer in waterford over christmas in particular 19" models, only good as a computer monitor

I got a hanspree 32 in Nov but it had terrible lipsynch problems in certain situation (after several channel hops). DID swapped if for another one and the problem recurred so it must have been a firmware issue or something. DID weren't interested in helping to fix it, but offered value against a different manufacturer so we got rid of it and went for a philips 32.

No lipsynch problems and an altogether better TV viewing experience. Was disappointed DID couldn't fix up the hanspree though.
    Have to concur with that statement. Have a Hanspree only recently and the lipsync problems are woeful. Looks like another one will be going back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

I've canceled my order of the Hannspree. Too many outstanding questions and 3 days of 0 feedback from DID regards the online order - 'being picked' for over 48 hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Martin_F wrote: »
    I've canceled my order of the Hannspree.
    good move. Happy with the philips 32" and works great with the philps bluray playr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Healy1 wrote: »
    will tv have to be replaced to get mheg5?

Traditional "analogue" teletext will continue until ASO or late 2012, MHEG-5 is not essential to watch the digital TV channels.

After that you will require a STB or new TV if you want MHEG-5 services.

N.B. have you tried installing the TV with UK as the country/region? On some TVs it can activate MHEG-5 but place your channels in the 800's on the epg which can on most TVs be manually relocated back to position 1,2 etc.

MHEG5 may not be absolutely essential today. But there is always possibility of multiscreen transmission that uses MHEG5 to pick one part of video and enlarge to full screen or part of screen with text. Sport, News, Special events, interactive content.

Like BBC does. I know it's RTE's intention which is why MHEG5 is mandatory part of spec. You can't call a TV or Set box 100% compatible without it.

EBU Teletext OTOH is totally optional to PAL-I spec for analogue TV in Ireland. VHF tuner isn't.

I'd not buy a TV from a Monitor maker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I just bought a Hannspree 22 inch HD TV from DID.

Has MPEG4 on it.

It seems a good decent TV and not bad value at 180 euro.

Alot of the Spar Shops use Hannspree TV in their shops and in the bigger Eurospar shops with the cafe areas too,and they all seem to have good sound and pic quality.

Advertisement