Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian students... zzzzZZZZ?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm worried that this could be taken the wrong way but I am 100% serious and will try to word this carefully. I put it here because I don't know if the people involved are necessarily Chinese but I do know that there is a large Chinese contingent among the group in question.

Basically, I've been in college in London for a couple of months. There are a very large number of international students and I'm constantly seeing Asian people asleep everywhere! In the library, at computer desks, in the lunch hall. The other day, a guy in my class put his head down for a nap during the 10 minute gap between lectures (I know, I should have asked him).

At first I thought it was just a coincidence but it I see it so often that I now know it can't be. So there must be some reason for it? Are these guys used to a nap during the day, like a siesta in Spain or what's going on? Are they just working really hard?

Anyway, it's really not my intention to offend anyone, I'm just curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭booksale

A nap in the day good to your brain and your body. :D

But I guess, maybe they are working night-time so they cant help falling asleep the day?

A lot of Chinese would work and study the same time. And a lot of them work in Chinese take-away or restaurant which mean they are off mid-night something.

I just fell asleep during the lecture today... could not help... um... yea, I worked till 945pm last night... but i went to bed at 11pm already. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Haha, you should try visiting China to see people sleeping in strange places!!
    Yes, siesta is still practised by a lot of Chinese. When I webcam with my wife in work there, often behind her, in the office, i can see people sleeping at their desks! They even have a big sofa, where at lunchtime, there are usually three people sleeping on! It seemed really strange to me at first but the more I think about it the more I wish we did the same here. A nap in the afternoon would be lovely :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

A Chinese student's life is much harder than you thought.
    No matter in China or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hsuan

haha```
    as a chinese...
    I remembered when i was a 1st yr student in primary school,my teacher asked us(the whole class) to put our heads down for a nap,cannot remember why
    but... we will take a nap when we feel tired,actually sometimes we were still awake,just for a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hayleycomet

Wow, interesting, I never knew 'siesta' was a part of chinese culture too...I reckon it would have been the norm for us Irish too if the nuns hadn't kept poking us with sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

• Registered Users Posts: 31 george507

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with sleep in the classroom.
    It is quite normal when I was in China, everyone take a nap after the lunch.
    When I was in primary school, I am not tired, but the teacher forced everyone to sleep during the lunch break.

Advertisement