Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler gave up on me..!

Options
  • 23-11-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭

My boiler is seems to have given up on me - probably depressed from hearing all the bad news from the radio that sits right under it, or may be it heard about the cold spell that is about to come this weekend..!!!

It's a 15 year old Potterton Prima F 60, and hasn't had any issues in last 5 years or so. I turned it on a while ago, it came on, with flame etc and stopped after about 60-75 seconds. I tried the reset button (at the bottom) which went in, and hasn't come back out. If I turn off the power for 5 - 10 minutes and switch it back on again, it will fire up again, but only to stop again in just over a minute.

Anyone familiar with this problem, and/or this specific Prima F 60 yoke? Did a bit of google'ing and a few pointers so far - one is that of possible dirty contacts in the PCB, and the other is about the photo (?) sensor - the bit that checks if the flame is actually on or not (based on a discussion here on boards actually).

Thanks for reading..!! Gas man will call around tomorrow but call out charge is... let's say a bit heavy..!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 j_gall

I would check the jet. they can get dirty and blocked. Should be changed every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

If I was a betting man (which I'm not) I'd say it was the fan. Had a Potterton once (not exact same model as yours), fan was a known problem. I became an 'expert' on my particular type of boiler as I kept it going well beyond its 'sell by date' by some judicious TLC.

By the way, the are no 'contacts' in the PCB, that's why its called a PCB. Nor is there a photo sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You need someone RGI registered to repair the boiler, its the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oumasbaby

positron wrote: »
    My boiler is seems to have given up on me - probably depressed from hearing all the bad news from the radio that sits right under it, or may be it heard about the cold spell that is about to come this weekend..!!!

It's a 15 year old Potterton Prima F 60, and hasn't had any issues in last 5 years or so. I turned it on a while ago, it came on, with flame etc and stopped after about 60-75 seconds. I tried the reset button (at the bottom) which went in, and hasn't come back out. If I turn off the power for 5 - 10 minutes and switch it back on again, it will fire up again, but only to stop again in just over a minute.

Anyone familiar with this problem, and/or this specific Prima F 60 yoke? Did a bit of google'ing and a few pointers so far - one is that of possible dirty contacts in the PCB, and the other is about the photo (?) sensor - the bit that checks if the flame is actually on or not (based on a discussion here on boards actually).

Thanks for reading..!! Gas man will call around tomorrow but call out charge is... let's say a bit heavy..!
    hi, it happened to me just before the big freeze last year and a registerred boiler man came to check mine out; he took out his wd40 and four sprays later turned it on only too fuel the components that didn't need it at the time,which burnt out all the goodies that make it work and when we tried to contact him his phone went to voicemail and sat with the problem for the weekend with-out central heating, so when your man comes to do the work,be sure to get his registration no. before you get his phone no. as this will be good for registration purposes!! all the best and hope you get sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

If you look up www.partsarena.com/baxi you'll fine the manual for the boiler. There is a good flow-chart (Figure 30) to help diagnose the problem.

If the fan doesn't start then you won't get past the first step of the start sequence.

The start sequence is as follows:

1. When heat is called (via external controls) the fan starts
    2. the electrode sparks
    3. the 'pilot light' lights
    4. the pilot light stays on
    5. the main burner lights
    6. the main burner cycles on/off via external controls

So if you can confirm what step you are are failing to achieve then the manual will help you (at least) diagnose the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks a million everyone, will keep you posted on the progress. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭positron

Update as promised!

I had the gas man in, who initially thought it could be the pump. But then he said it couldn't be as it started working..!!!! :eek: Yes, the frigging lovely boiler actually started working this morning when the gas guy turned it on and off a few times!! I did the same last night and made no difference, but this morning it seems to be in a better mood, but shame because I am now poorer by €90!

I am not complaining - it is working at least. And the gas guy reckons it could be the PCB, and thinks changing that would be upwards of €300, but he recommends changing the entire boiler as it's 15 years old.

Just in case if it breaks down again, anyone know what sort of / type of / brand of boilers I should be looking out for? Any tips and suggestions? It's a 15 year old 4 bed semi detached, occupied by just 2 people (soon to be 3).

Thanks again!

Advertisement