Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 days in birmingham

Options
  • 23-11-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

hi
    myself and other half are heading to birmingham for a extended weekend.
    not so much into booze.
    interested in christmas market there
    anything else interesting which should not be missed?

looking at the internet, there is not much in the city to do.

we wont have car. so can we depend on public transport for getting from hotel to city?
    what is the best place to stay to avoid any problem with transportation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

hi
    myself and other half are heading to birmingham for a extended weekend.
    not so much into booze.
    interested in christmas market there
    anything else interesting which should not be missed?

looking at the internet, there is not much in the city to do.

we wont have car. so can we depend on public transport for getting from hotel to city?
    what is the best place to stay to avoid any problem with transportation?

If you don't have transport, why not stay in the city ? There are lots of hotels as it's a big location for conferences.

There's a nice regenerated area around the canal in the city with restaurants. Parts of the city are pretty grim. The shopping seemed ok. There's Drayton Manor theme park about 10 miles form the city. I was only there for a night so not much help sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

yes check this out http://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/CadburyWorld/Pages/CadburyWorld.aspx
    of course if your into soccer, villa and birmingham should be playing

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Check out the bull ring for shopping.
    Brindley place is good for restaurants/drinks etc.
    If you fancy a day trip out of birmingham, you can easily go to warwick castle, stratford upon avon or even alton towers.
    Check out jewellery quarter if you are interested in any jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

any budget accomodation around city centre?
    i cant find anything less than 100pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Eh, hello? Villa Park, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

adamski8 wrote: »
    yes check this out http://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/CadburyWorld/Pages/CadburyWorld.aspx
    of course if your into soccer, villa and birmingham should be playing

Birmingham don't so much play as grunt and wrestle in the mud. On the other hand, a trip to the family section in Villa Park could be well worth it.

Birmingham's not an amazing place, but there are a few nice museums and it's not too far to Alton Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Bunny Buster

Surprisingly enough, there is actually plenty to do in and around Birmingham. I have been going over to a friend of mine in Sutton Coldfield a couple of times a year for the past 10 years or so. He lives about 20 mins by tram away from New Street Station, travel connections over there would put this tea pot of a country to shame! :eek: If you are into football, head to Villa Park in Aston, they are playing Arsenal this Saturday, the atmosphere in that stadium is unbelievable considering it holds just shy on 43,000 people. There is also a Grand Prix Karting track not too far from Birmingham City FC grounds, it's good craic, the address for that is... Adderley Road South, Saltley, phone no is 01213277700, give them a shout if you find yourself with nothing to! :D

For something different you could have a look, at The National Sea Life Aquarium in Brindleyplace, might not be your type of thing, but it's a cool enough place!:p If you want to relieve yourself of a few euros/pounds ;), have a wander around The Bullring, it's right across from New Street Train Station, you will find plenty to buy there!

Anyway, enjoy your trip and behave while you are there!! ;););):D

thanks lads for info.
    have booked my flights but no accomodation yet
    all r booked out and left ones are way out of budget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

thanks lads for info.
    have booked my flights but no accomodation yet
    all r booked out and left ones are way out of budget
    when are you going? have you tried jurys inn? it's on broad street which is a pretty good place to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pindababe

Hi i'm origionally from Brum Broad street is the most central place to stay you can get all public transport from here or a short walk to metro/trains stay at the travelodge here is a code GC54796G this will get you rooms for £10 per night must book soon its for stays upto 26th December, if you are not really into drinking there are some fantastic restaurants, you may be able to catch show at the icc or hypodrome both a walk away also there is merry hill shopping centre ( catch a bus on broad Street) every shop you can think of under one roof, Dudley Zoo, Cadbury World, there is a multiplex cinema on broad street too also a bowlplex at broadway plaza just round the corner from hotel, the Botanical gardens are gorgous a 5 minute bus ride away, if you are into football you have Villa Park, Birmingham City, West Bromwich and wolves grounds again bus rides away from city, The Glee Club is a comedy club worth a visit also on broad street, science centre and imax centre, birmingham art gallery and museum, the chinese quarter, and the sealife centre 5 minute walk I hope this helps have a great time x

• Advertisement

tried for my dates dec 4-6 but the voucher code was not accepted
    anyway thanks a lot pindababe very much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pindababe

rooms are still only £19 only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

OP,
    I appreciate it's close to your trip now, but if you've not had any luck with hotels yet, can I suggest you do a search for accommodation in the Hagley Road area?
    There are a number of hotels along this road, which might be suitable for you (a mix of the larger, chain hotels and smaller, one-off types).

From there, there are plenty of buses to the city centre (or you could get a cab for £6 or so).

Regardless, the Christmas Market is great fun and, as mentioned in some of the earlier posts, there are plenty of things to see and do around the city centre, if you're feeling energetic.

thanks mate
    ended up booking close to train station
    did not want to walk around too much in this snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Alton Towers is closed for off season:

The Theme Park re-opens with selected rides and attractions for February Half-Term 19-27 February 2011, and for the main season on 26 March 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

thanks mate
    ended up booking close to train station
    did not want to walk around too much in this snow

Glad to hear you got sorted and probably a good idea to limit how much wandering around you have to do, given the current weather.
    Brum's a good city and I hope you enjoy it.

Advertisement