Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old radio repair

Options
  • 23-11-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi - anyone know of someone who would be able or would be willing to try and fix an old Bush radio - 1950's or 60's I'd say. It's got valves in it and a light comes on when plugged in but nothing else happens, no hiss from the speaker, etc. I'm based in Limerick but open to any suggestions. Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

There is a guy in Swords called John twamley... he repairs TVs and things, but he is a radio and tv genius. Think he is ex navy radiographer or something like that. In his 60s, a bit mad, but sound. Think his place is called 'Fingal TV', across the road from the garda station. Get a quote first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Hey closer to yourself, there's a guy who runs a radio Museum in Kerry, it was on Nationwide last week, and from looking at the footage, he seems to repair things.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1085078

If that doesn't work, just check out the real player on the rte site, and it was the episode shown on the 17 of November.I missed exactly where it was based but its in Kerry somewhere. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Thanks...looks like he's based in Listowel - will give him a shout aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

Would anyone here know of a person who restores and repairs vintage radios in the Limerick area. Someone who does it for a hobby and who'd be a right dinger at it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭patspost

Would anyone here know of a person who restores and repairs vintage radios in the Limerick area. Someone who does it for a hobby and who'd be a right dinger at it.
    Thanks

The old radios wont likely have vhf on them, so you wont be able to listen to any of the fm stations.
    You will pick up MW from UK and Europe if you have an antenna.

• Advertisement

patspost wrote: »
    The old radios wont likely have vhf on them, so you wont be able to listen to any of the fm stations.
    You will pick up MW from UK and Europe if you have an antenna.

I mentioned in the post that I was looking for someone who restores and repairs old radios, not looking for advice on what frequencies i can pick up. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I know somewhere you can get a saucer full of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I know somewhere you can get a saucer full of milk.

A very helpful post. Might be useful for a cat:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I mentioned in the post that I was looking for someone who restores and repairs old radios, not looking for advice on what frequencies i can pick up. Thanks anyway.

Pretty sure that lad was only trying to help-anyway, yes I do a bit of restoring, purely as a hobbyist.

Post up a few photos of it here and we'll see. Also, don't plug it in again, dependent on condition of a few key components, you will likely do damage.

Pretty sure that lad was only trying to help-anyway, yes I do a bit of restoring, purely as a hobbyist.

Post up a few photos of it here and we'll see. Also, don't plug it in again, dependent on condition of a few key components, you will likely do damage.
    Ok, will do.
    I've taken it all on board. Thanks for your advice and happy new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I know a man living in that region who works in transmissions and audio. I’ll pop him a message over the coming days and see if he knows of anybody who could help you.

Advertisement