Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vocal set up

Options
  • 23-11-2010 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey guys I am having trouble recording and getting the right sound out of my vocal tracks. The singer isn't the problem. I think I may be missing something in my set up. Can someone tell me their best way of setting up and equipment to use for the vocal. I feel I am missing something. Either that or maybe its my technique when mixing the tracks.

I am using pro tools and waves plugins and I have my mic plugged through a tube and into the desk.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Hi , what equipment are you using exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

Without knowing your signal chain, my advice would be to concentrate on the singers acoustic surroundings. If you haven't got a sound treated room, get some quilts and hang them behind the singer. Keep the room reflections out.

If it's a multi pattern mic, use the cardiod setting. Have the vocalist sing about a foot from the mic. Any closer and their voice might be too bassy (proximity effect).

I use renaissance vox regularly and rarely need any other signal processing. It's simple to use. If you have Rvox in your waves bundle, 3 to 4dbs of compression should control the vocals nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Post the chain, and an example recording.

+1 on acoustics. Biggest source of problems. Just hanging some duvets around the singer works wonders, just as good as foam. Don't put the mic near a window or a concrete wall.

That said recently had an issue that sounded like a room reflection, but it was a damaged internal suspension on a U87!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

In your case it's impossible to say which is the biggest source of the problem. For instance the signal gain structure between your equipment could be the culprit. Again need to know what your using.
    Re duvet and acoustics - that seems to be the SOS way in untreaded rooms but the truth of the matter is, this possibly could make a vocal recording sound worse its a case of try and see.
    The vocal mic your using if multi pattern could also sound much better in omni mode or figure of eight that could outweight the acoustic rejection of the cardiod pattern again its a case of try and see.
    Again as others have said post your signal path and make sure your getting the interfacing and signal gain right first then have a look at the mic or patterns choice if available and then move on to acoustic trial and error stuff.
    -Dec

Re duvet and acoustics - that seems to be the SOS way in untreaded rooms but the truth of the matter is, this possible could make a vocal recording sound worse its a case of try and see.
    IME it's never done anything but improve the sound. As long as the mic is not positioned in a main peak or node it works. Avoid being in the middle of any dimension, including the oft forgotten floor to ceiling. Which is fine because most people are not that small/ most rooms are not that tall. :) And as I said avoid putting it near a major source of reflection.

• Advertisement

madtheory wrote: »
    IME it's never done anything but improve the sound.

I think its worth pointing out that yes the use of duvets can work for some untreated rooms - agreed. Equally important to understand that the typical range the duvet works in effectively is mainly from 550hz -upwards. Couple this with the likely problem areas in the low end region of a again typical home room set up - you could end up with a very dry sound, dead with no air (overcompensated high end absorbtion) and plenty of low end modes just for good measure. Sometimes the untreaded mid/high end can work and sound better - not all the time - thats my point.
    I have recieved some tracks over the years that suffered from above.

A recent example of a clients acoustic guitar home recording ( granted it's not a vocal but same rules apply) which sounded very boxy and dead. He was using a SE reflexion filter (again the duvet theory in principle) when I ask him to try it without the filter it came out better albeit with its low end issues still to be worked on. I wouldn't be the only engineer who finds the SE filter can sometimes end up with an odd balance sound. If the theory was solid then sales figures would be off the scales, that is not the case.
    In summary its always important that one checks that they're fixing a problem that exists not simple following theory which can end up sounding worse. Again try and see or hear in this case!

Good points, would you agree that it's really down to user error? I'd like to point out that I've experienced similar issues with the reflexion filter, IMO a duvet is actually better. I use a duvet behind the vocalist in my little studio here, the room is theoretically a disaster, it's a cube dominated by a window! But the vocals come out perfectly well, I have the mic positioned off to one side so it's not in a major node.

madtheory wrote: »
    Good points, would you agree that it's really down to user error? I'd like to point out that I've experienced similar issues with the reflexion filter

Yep Mad,
    I think its most likely to be user error. If the OP posts their audio chain there might be something in there that's easy to spot as the culprit.
    Also - the reflexion filter wouldn't be my reach for tool for acoustic problems I guess most people would find the duvet at rear as you described would proberly be just as good a solution although more of a headache to set up.
    -Declan

Advertisement