Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Old Climbing Ropes

Options
  • 23-11-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone any ideas where i might get some old climbing rope, I dont want it for climbing but want it
    to practise Mountain Leader Rope Skills.
    There will be no real shock impacts on the rope so half a 60m climbing rope would be perfect,

I have looked at them online but for a 30M rope i am taking €60-00, This seems excessive for a rope
    that will be rarely used,

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

Get pally with the staff at your local climbing wall. They will replace ropes at regular intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Thats a good idea but i dont really do much climbing so that may not work,

Any other ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

ukclimbing sometimes has them, if you know someone in the UK they might be able pick one up and bring it over to you. I had a post like your's here recently and had no luck.

Thanks for that,

Yes i knew i saw a similar post a while ago but could not find it,

I suppose its a risky subject, Giving someone old climbing ropes and the fear that they will use them for actual climbing must be a concern to people,

Its annoying though that a walking rope costs €60 and it cant even be used for climbing after that,

It would seem to an awful waste of money when im sure people throw them in the bin all the time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

€60 may seem excessive but when it could potentially save your life then it is money well spent. Same goes for more expensive climbing ropes, climbers are more than happy to replace them as its the only thing holding your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    €60 may seem excessive but when it could potentially save your life then it is money well spent. Same goes for more expensive climbing ropes, climbers are more than happy to replace them as its the only thing holding your life.

I was looking for an old rope to practice rescue technique with a dead weight rather than putting unnecessary wear on the good rope, I'm sure the OP is thinking similarly. :)

Of course im thinking the same thing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I have a load of old climbing rope up in my scout hall. If you can travel over to the Southside of Dublin you can have some for free if it is up to your needs.

Hi,

Ye that would be great, Ill PM you now,

Thanks,

Advertisement