Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about car tax

Options
  • 23-11-2010 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi I hope this is the right place to ask this!
    My car is out of tax since April as it was broken and only could get it fixed this week, I have a tax form stamped by the local station but the nearest tax office is about 40 mins away. I really need the car for Wednesday so have to get the tax tomorrow and unfortunately no one is available to give me a lift....so im wondering if I drive to tax office but get stopped by any gardai on the way would they be likely to fine me/take the car or if I explain the situation and offer to bring it to show them an hour later do you think they'd be happy enough?
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

calibelle wrote: »
    Hi I hope this is the right place to ask this!
    My car is out of tax since April as it was broken and only could get it fixed this week, I have a tax form stamped by the local station but the nearest tax office is about 40 mins away. I really need the car for Wednesday so have to get the tax tomorrow and unfortunately no one is available to give me a lift....so im wondering if I drive to tax office but get stopped by any gardai on the way would they be likely to fine me/take the car or if I explain the situation and offer to bring it to show them an hour later do you think they'd be happy enough?
    Thanks a million!

We are often told by motorists we stop that they are "just on the way to the Tax Office now Gaurd" . .

. . .but then when you ask them if they have their Vehicle Registration Cert, Insurance details etc etc ( the documents needed to Tax a car ) . . .they dont:rolleyes:

If you are genuinely going to the Tax office . . .as you will be . . . . you will have your Vehicle Registration Cert with you, your Insurance Cert, etc etc . . .so showing these to any Garda will demonstrate you are on the level.

If your really worried fill out the tax renewal form fully, sign and date it before you leave.

You should have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

can it be taxed online??????????? prob not if as it was off the road, but if you do ,do it online print off the receipt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭calibelle

Corcioch wrote: »
    We are often told by motorists we stop that they are "just on the way to the Tax Office now Gaurd" . .

. . .but then when you ask them if they have their Vehicle Registration Cert, Insurance details etc etc ( the documents needed to Tax a car ) . . .they dont:rolleyes:

If you are genuinely going to the Tax office . . .as you will be . . . . you will have your Vehicle Registration Cert with you, your Insurance Cert, etc etc . . .so showing these to any Garda will demonstrate you are on the level.

If your really worried fill out the tax renewal form fully, sign and date it before you leave.

You should have no problem.

The renewal form is filled in and stamped already and I have the other 2 in my bag so I'll head in tomorrow!

Advertisement