Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No's of Android phones vs iPhones

Options
  • 22-11-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Just curious whether there are any figures available nationwide.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There was a thing in yesterdays metro about this, weirdly. I think iphone was around 250,000 and android phones came in at 210,000 odd. I'm working off memory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ha, serendipitious. :)
    I was curious, because it seems to me that android market as good as it is, seems to play second fiddle to iOS. Hopefully that'll change as the number of users rise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nevore wrote: »
    it seems to me that android market as good as it is, seems to play second fiddle to iOS.

Agreed.
    Hopefully that'll change as the number of users rise.

I think it's an inevitability. The closed nature of iOS means that it's going to need to be ridiculously popular to outstrip combined sales of all other android based devices 2 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Ha, serendipitious. :)
    I was curious, because it seems to me that android market as good as it is, seems to play second fiddle to iOS. Hopefully that'll change as the number of users rise.

That's just the nature of being the newer platform in the market.

At the current rate IOS will be second fiddle in the not so distant future to android.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

hobochris wrote: »
    That's just the nature of being the newer platform in the market.

At the current rate IOS will be second fiddle in the not so distant future to android.

The revenue streams from apple OS are better - iPhone users will pay for apps, Android users are more careful about spending money on Apps & prefer free content. This is one of the key reasons for the Android Market not having as many well developed apps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

A post I wrote on this the other day.....
    Google were activating 60,000 Android units per day in February, 100,000 in May, 160,000 in July and currently doing 250,000 per day! It won't be long until Android is the first choice for App developers and iPhone the second (if at all, much the same as PC software).

Apple, now, is selling 270,000 phones per day so it's not going to take long for Android to overtake them.

Iphone apps can ONLY be released through the App store where Apple take 30% commission. Google take 30% commission too but only if you want your App in the official Android Market. You can actually release it anywhere. This is starting to attract some of the big players in Iphone apps away to Android. Don't worry about your fav app not being on Android - it probably already is!

Also, Android is free(Open Source). If you decide to start making mobile phones tomorrow you can ship them with Android and you don't have to pay Google a cent! This makes it extremely attractive to technology developers and manufacturers. I can see TV's, Radio's, heating systems, house alarms, etc, etc, being shipped with Android in the next 10 years.

Android is the future. Not iPhone.

Advertisement