Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childress sacked by Vikings

Options
  • 22-11-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Brad Childress has been fired by the Vikings. Full story here. Leslie Frazer will take over for the rest of the year.

Hardly surprising but the interesting thing now is whether Brett Favre has played his last down. The Vikings need to find out what they have in Frazer as a head coach and they will also need to find out whether Tarvaris Jackson is their QB of the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Some discussion on the matter over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Did this team not come within one bad throw of making the SuperBowl last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

They did, but they have regressed hugely over the past year and when Childress took it upon himself to get rid of Moss, that pretty much sealed his faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Moss was hardly being a team player to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Moss was hardly being a team player to say the least.

No, but the owner Wilf was furious with Childress after he tolf the dressing room Moss would be cut. That was pretty much the writing on the wall for Childress. Moss is a headache no matter where he goes, especially when he is dis-interested. But after giving up picks for him and cutting him after only 4-5 weeks, you can see why Wilf was pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Icepickle

Canned Chilli? Wonder what that tastes like.
    I'll get my coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭tommyboyle

Favre will start next week. Announced earlier on espn. Wonder how everything went so bad for chilly. Great offensive coordinator for the eagles and seemed to be a pretty good head coach. Generally made good decisions. Kinda looked like a priss begging for favre two years ago but hard to blame him when your starter is jackson. Like stated previously stated he just made the nfc championship. Frazer looks more than qualified. Wonder where Chilly will end up? As a coordinator or a head coach in the future? He did pretty well as a head coach until this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

To be honest the Problems in Minnesota are down to bad coaching and the problem has been offloaded. How can any coach with that offense fail to move the ball. Chilly lost the respect of the players and it showed. Favre is not the problem and as much as most will blame Favre there have been many instances of bad play calling by the Vikings this season and Favre is not the sole blame here.

Now I will say I do love Brett Favre but he has always thrown interceptions and made some bad throws on the field over his 20 years but he isn't doing anything different this year as he was last year. The Vikings just suck and lack any confidence and hopefully with Chilly gone they bounce back and at least get a winning record on the season.

I don't believe that Childress is 100 per cent the fault. Favre and co. have to shoulder some of the blame. If this wasn't the case, that offense would still manage substantial efforts even with questionable playcalling. Favre, as leader of the offense has been poor - 10 TDs, 17 INTs, and six fumbles. This goes back to when he 'retired' and the whole ankle issue. Hopefully the new regime change will be a positive for Favre and begin to turn things around, like what Dallas are trying to do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Reckon Chilly sealed his own fate with whole Randy Moss situation but it was pretty obvious that he had lost most of the Locker room anyway, as for Favre, theres no way he will be benched till he breaks the 300 consecutive starts...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I don't believe that Childress is 100 per cent the fault. Favre and co. have to shoulder some of the blame. If this wasn't the case, that offense would still manage substantial efforts even with questionable playcalling. Favre, as leader of the offense has been poor - 10 TDs, 17 INTs, and six fumbles. This goes back to when he 'retired' and the whole ankle issue. Hopefully the new regime change will be a positive for Favre and begin to turn things around, like what Dallas are trying to do at the moment.

Never said he was 100% at fault. But for me he is one of the main reasons right now. Guy has fallen from grace with his nonsense over the last 2 years. Some of the reasons why I think he lost the plot:

- Bringing back Favre, isnt everybody blaming Favre right now?
    - Arguing with Favre on the sideline last year
    - His arguments with Harvin at the start of the season over his injury
    - Randy Moss
    - Blaming Favre in Public for losing a game.
    - Questionable play calling in the last few weeks.
    - Not challenging the obvious in games

Now of course the players have to shoulder some of the blame. Their O-line which was so consistent are playing like High School kids, Favre forcing his throw as usual and making bad decisions, AP doesnt look the same, WR not running the right routes and dropping footballs, Oh and Defense are woeful this year.

The over all confidence of the team is down and Chilly has done nothing as a coach to fix it other than to make a fool of himself. He seemed torn between what system he would run and he fought so hard to bring back an old man who is struggling with age and injuries that he lost sight of his goals.

For me though, him trying to turn the spotlight off himself by blaming Favre publicly for a loss was madness. Chilly you fought tooth and nail to bring Favre back, You sent players to pick him up and you met him at the airport now stand by your man or get the fook out. For those who blame Favre don't forget Chilly brought him back when he didn't have to. Live by the sword die by the sword.

Never said he was 100% at fault. But for me he is one of the main reasons right now. Guy has fallen from grace with his nonsense over the last 2 years. Some of the reasons why I think he lost the plot:

- Randy Moss

Now of course the players have to shoulder some of the blame. Their O-line which was so consistent are playing like High School kids, Favre forcing his throw as usual and making bad decisions, AP doesnt look the same, WR not running the right routes and dropping footballs, Oh and Defense are woeful this year.

The over all confidence of the team is down and Chilly has done nothing as a coach to fix it other than to make a fool of himself. He seemed torn between what system he would run and he fought so hard to bring back an old man who is struggling with age and injuries that he lost sight of his goals.

For me though, him trying to turn the spotlight off himself by blaming Favre publicly for a loss was madness. Chilly you fought tooth and nail to bring Favre back, You sent players to pick him up and you met him at the airport now stand by your man or get the fook out. For those who blame Favre don't forget Chilly brought him back when he didn't have to. Live by the sword die by the sword.

I wasn't directly referencing your post. I was just chipping in, the media are jumping down his throat, I think, slightly that Favre's to blame and that offense too. Just a percentage.

I don't know what to make of Frazier at this stage or what he'll do or if the club will even get it together with the Bears and Packers doing well for themselves in that division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭tommyboyle

Chidress was given a bad situation and handled it terrible. Sydney Rice announces he needs surgery a week before the season starts. Harvin suffers from migraines and other illnesses. Favre has his opera and girlfriends. Chilly couldn't handle it. He had his own little mini meltdown. A fresh start is best for everyone. The players hated him when they were doing well and when things went bad we had mutiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

- Randy Moss

If we start with the environment that Chilly operated in , its not ideal , you have an owner running a team from a New York office who is consumed by a stadium issue

You dont seem to have excellent GM help from Speilman but Chilly was improving the record of a team by 2 game wins per season for 3 seasons in a row which culminated in the Championship Game

But some things have been a constant under his reign

-Players have consistently said he was a poor communicator
    - His game management on the sideline was deplorable ...see the 12 men on the field in the NFC game ...or 10 men on against the Packers
    - his subservience to Favre , his rash handling of Moss in every way
    -his treatment of Wilf in the Moss cutting

and it appears also that Minnesota may have a very capable coach in-house who will get the Vikes back to good defense all done with a cool head and decisions which appear that they are thought out

Frazier i am sure will make mistakes but he is very much from the Dungy /Morris/Tomlin coaching school which will build on good defense , the run and special teams (im not racial stereotyping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

To be honest the Problems in Minnesota are down to bad coaching and the problem has been offloaded. How can any coach with that offense fail to move the ball. Chilly lost the respect of the players and it showed. Favre is not the problem and as much as most will blame Favre there have been many instances of bad play calling by the Vikings this season and Favre is not the sole blame here.

Now I will say I do love Brett Favre but he has always thrown interceptions and made some bad throws on the field over his 20 years but he isn't doing anything different this year as he was last year. The Vikings just suck and lack any confidence and hopefully with Chilly gone they bounce back and at least get a winning record on the season.

It seems that Favre never rated Chillys playcalling or philosphy underpinning it . This explains the changes at scrimmage and really its only when Frazier starts to playcall that we could fully blame Favre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Problem was Childress horrible game management that only got them to 1 throw away as opposed to strolling into it like they should have.
    As a Packers fan I am kind of disappointed as I think Chili was a terrible coach and held back that team for last few seasons. They are good enough to win a Superbowl with the right management. I'm surprised he wasn't ditched when he let Moss go tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 deckyoh

being a viking fan for 18years im glad hes gone,he was an awful coach and only made look good by the players he had,tavaris was pure awful monday night so the sooner he goes the better,im a long suffering fan and will be broken hearted if they leave minnesota as i make an annual trip over,great city,nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I see next Monday's game is to be played the in the Uni of Minn's stadium built only recently. I know its only 50k but why didn't they team up with the Vikings to build the new stadium?

I dont know to be honest,both the college team the gophers and the twins the local baseball team built their own stadiums with taxpayers money,the vikings badly need one now but for some reason the people wont take a tax hike to make it happen,itd cost each household around 50dollars a year so if the vote for that to happen doesnt go through then its possible the vikings will relocate and that would devastate me,im deeply involved in trying to help with this stadium issue,i even contacted the governer of the state telling him how much money the state would lose if the vikings left,ive been over there the past 2years for a game.Id hate for any fan to lose their team even my arch rivals like green bay and the bears i wouldnt wish this on,i certainly wouldnt be supporting the L.A vikings,they belong in minnesota thats it,50years this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

deckyoh wrote: »
    being a viking fan for 18years im glad hes gone,he was an awful coach and only made look good by the players he had,tavaris was pure awful monday night so the sooner he goes the better,im a long suffering fan and will be broken hearted if they leave minnesota as i make an annual trip over,great city,nice people.

Wahey, I finally have a buddy round here

The mountains of Pats fans tend to bully loners, such as making me use this sig :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

On the stadium issue, I think this roof collapse is the best thing that could have happened the Vikings in regard to getting a new one, especially as this season has hardly inspired hype and enthusiasm in the team among locals.

I can't see Zygi moving the team though as long as he is owner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

deckyoh wrote: »
    I dont know to be honest,both the college team the gophers and the twins the local baseball team built their own stadiums with taxpayers money,the vikings badly need one now but for some reason the people wont take a tax hike to make it happen,itd cost each household around 50dollars a year so if the vote for that to happen doesnt go through then its possible the vikings will relocate and that would devastate me,im deeply involved in trying to help with this stadium issue,i even contacted the governer of the state telling him how much money the state would lose if the vikings left,ive been over there the past 2years for a game.Id hate for any fan to lose their team even my arch rivals like green bay and the bears i wouldnt wish this on,i certainly wouldnt be supporting the L.A vikings,they belong in minnesota thats it,50years this year

I hope Vikings get the new stadium as the Packers rivalry with the Vikings always makes both games a highlight of the season for me but I never quite understood the obsession with tax funded stadiums over in the states. If I was a taxpayer I'd be totally against it. The sport is rolling with money. The owners can combine with private industry to fund any complex.
    The other thing is those reports which show how a new stadium will bring x amount of money tend to have 1 massive flaw. It assumes that the people who would have spent money in said stadium would have just randomly stayed at home and not spent 1 cent which is a ridiculous assumption. I would also imagine it makes less sense to fund a NFL stadium than say a MLB stadium as you have 8 home games as opposed to 81 so there is more "value" for the city.
    Funding a college stadium just baffles me.

If the locals want to fund it fair enough I guess but I certainly wouldn't 1 of them

cooker3 wrote: »
    I hope Vikings get the new stadium as the Packers rivalry with the Vikings always makes both games a highlight of the season for me but I never quite understood the obsession with tax funded stadiums over in the states. If I was a taxpayer I'd be totally against it. The sport is rolling with money. The owners can combine with private industry to fund any complex.
    The other thing is those reports which show how a new stadium will bring x amount of money tend to have 1 massive flaw. It assumes that the people who would have spent money in said stadium would have just randomly stayed at home and not spent 1 cent which is a ridiculous assumption. I would also imagine it makes less sense to fund a NFL stadium than say a MLB stadium as you have 8 home games as opposed to 81 so there is more "value" for the city.

If the locals want to fund it fair enough I guess but I certainly wouldn't 1 of them
    i know,itd be a huge loss to not have the packer rivalry,lets pray it doesnt happen

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    On the stadium issue, I think this roof collapse is the best thing that could have happened the Vikings in regard to getting a new one, especially as this season has hardly inspired hype and enthusiasm in the team among locals.

I can't see Zygi moving the team though as long as he is owner
    god i hope your right man

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Wahey, I finally have a buddy round here

The mountains of Pats fans tend to bully loners, such as making me use this sig :pac:
    u do ineed,il chat football 24/7 365,best sport in the world followed closely by tipperary hurling and my beloved glasgow celtic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

cooker3 wrote: »

Do you know that almost all of the major FAI/IRFU/GAA stadiums are subsidised to as great a degree as anything in the US? It's just talked about less: http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1001/gaa.html and everyone knows how we paid for about 60% of cost for the Avia Stadium, the showpiece for not one but two national sporting organisations, and yet both are still coming cap in hand to everyone and their mother for more money to survive, partcularly the FAI with its completely financially unstable Artricity League.

It's certainly seedy, but it isn't just the Americans, it's everyone.

College football is very analogous to gaelic football here in that both are ametur endeavours (both with very limited numebrs of big home games a year) and in vast swathes of the US college football is the big game in town, so in the twisted world of grants, it makes sense for governments to pick up huge amounts of the tab.

People are fooled by rumblings of franchise relocation in american professional sport alot and policticians are always eager to do something populist and there comes little more populist than 'saving' a beloved local sports team from jumping town.

Advertisement