Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash urges Govt to impose €1 rise on packet of cigarettes

Options
  • 22-11-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭

Christ are they that thick, that there just going to increase the black/grey market even more.

We need to slash the price of smokes to be inline with most of europe. I'd hate to be a tourist who smokes and arriving in Ireland, i'd never be back.

Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

That would be sh!t. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 irishonline

I suppose they go off the belief that smokers will still pay that extra Euro on top just to fuel their nicotine cravings. A Euro extra or no smokes, no brainer really. Still though, I agree, its s**t!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Keith186

God I hate that Ash crowd. Hope nobody listens to them. They should mind their own business and let people smoke if they want to.
    Nothing to do with you Ash **** off.

I don't even smoke so wont effect me but it's absurd to charge anymore for smokes when they are extremely over priced already.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They won't. The higher you price the packet, the more worthwhile it becomes to go to the black market. Why would you pay a tenner for an individual packet when you could get 4 packets for that cost? I could see people happily paying €500 in a single pop so they could have a cupboard full of smokes to keep them going for 6 months.

And the higher you push up the demand for black market smokes, the more people who import them, and therefore the harder it becomes to keep tabs on them.

If they had any sense, they'd drop them to €6 a pack and reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

seamus wrote: »
    If they had any sense
    Crux. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Its already ridiculous easy to get black market smokes. Some of the lesser know brands can be got for as cheap as €2.50 because there are so many people selling them. I used to get 3 packs of mayfair for a €10 awhile back. Have since switched to rollies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I hate ASH. We're all adults, why can't we decide what we want to do, eh? There's no need to raise the price, it wont do anything. If the Govt were serious, they'd just ban them outright, but they'd lose too much tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Good luck to them if they think I'll pay that, I'm already too broke to always buy in shops as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Steodonn wrote: »
    Its already ridiculous easy to get black market smokes. Some of the lesser know brands can be got for as cheap as €2.50 because there are so many people selling them. I used to get 3 packs of mayfair for a €10 awhile back. Have since switched to rollies

I wish it was easy to buy them.

I have no idea where or who to buy them from :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I wish it was easy to buy them.

I have no idea where or who to buy them from :confused:

And just as a reminder - you won't find out here either as it is a taboo subject as per the forum charter. :)

HB

• Advertisement

Sadistic Bastards..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I hate how idiotic these anti-smoking groups are. There main reasons for these taxes are either 1 of 2, to stop people taking up smoking for the good of their health and to raise taxes received from smokes.

All they're going to do is push money into the hands of the black market for smokes, meaning there is less tax money received and people will be smoking ****ter quality smokes, having an even worse impact on their health. If they had any sense they'd bring the prices down to 5-6 euro a pack and rule out the black market essentially. Average price in France for smokes is 5.30-5.50 for the major brands, and it seems they can cope fine with covering the health costs of smokes with the tax received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Carl.Gustav

Whats the tax on a pack of 20, if i smoke for 30 years at 20 a day then get cancer and go through an extended bout of treatment/surgery do you think I have paid for it in taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Whats the tax on a pack of 20, if i smoke for 30 years at 20 a day then get cancer and go through an extended bout of treatment/surgery do you think I have paid for it in taxes
    No, your taxes fund the banks;).

Advertisement