Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mac and win7 workgroup

Options
  • 22-11-2010 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

Just bought mbp on saturday and can't connect it to the win7 workgroup. Can see win7 computers, can connect to eircom router - firewall off on the router. The win PC can see the macbook but I can't ping it. The router assigns it 192.168.1.5. I can't see pc/printer/nas from the MAC but can get online. WORKGROUP is set correctly in WINS on the mac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Are you connecting via wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

yes

Can see win7 computers, can connect to eircom router - firewall off

I can't see pc/printer/nas from the MAC but can get online.

Little confusing here, what can the Mac (correct nomenclature) see? What are the IP addresses of other items on the network? You may want to turn on sharing on the Mac ( system preferences-->sharing-->file sharing ).

muggyog wrote: »
    Little confusing here, what can the Mac (correct nomenclature) see? What are the IP addresses of other items on the network? You may want to turn on sharing on the Mac ( system preferences-->sharing-->file sharing ).

I have file sharing active on the Mac. I can smb://192.168.1.6 (my desktop) and I can see/change files on the PC.

From the PC I can't ping 192.168.1.5 (the Mac). The Mac does show up on the Homegroup but when I click on it I get a message saying I'm not authorised to view it.

What model Eircom modem? I will check the settings on mine when I go home.

If you have only setup the default option in Mac filesharing you can only access a particular folder. To add the complete machine you have to add it as per A in picture1 ( you may want to play with B option).

I am interested that you are using smb://192.168.1.6 to connect to your PC. Does it not appear in the leftmost column ( in the shared section ) if you double click your Mac hard drive? ( as per picture2 )

• Advertisement

I have a Netopia 2247NWG and in the configure wireless page there is an advanced configuration option. In there there is a Limit Wireless Access by MAC Address and this should be disabled.
    Also in the statistics page under WAN does the Mac appear with its correct MAC (see, I wasn't being pedantic regarding caps) address?

muggyog wrote: »
    I have a Netopia 2247NWG and in the configure wireless page there is an advanced configuration option. In there there is a Limit Wireless Access by MAC Address and this should be disabled.
    Also in the statistics page under WAN does the Mac appear with its correct MAC (see, I wasn't being pedantic regarding caps) address?

I've got the netopia 2247 with firewall off - no MAC address filtering and the Mac has the correct MAC address.

I called Apple on Monday and they talked me through setting up the sharing using that smb:// method. The refused to assist me with any troubleshooting of why I can't view the Mac files on the PC and only said it was a Windows issue. They said the Mac is set up correctly.

To view the Windows files on Mac I now click Go - Connect to Server - then click Connect to smb://192.168.1.6 and validate my Windows Credentials. Is this the correct method as it does not seem very "user friendly".

On an point of information also, this really has exposed how weak Windows security is in reality - I can see all files on the PC - protected OS files included that are normally hidden in Windows but visable when sharing on the Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

When you turned on Filesharing did you assign user/permissions in the windows file sharing tab to who can view, it sounds like the win7 PC is trying to authenticate to the mac as itself, should should be able to "Connect using a different name" then use your admin credentials as on the mac to connect to it. I connect windows to mac, mac to windows all the time in the house. If you have any problems let me know and I'll give you my setup.

Confused?

Advertisement