Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you fail an essay/assignment in first year UCC Arts?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 2:40am

Does that mean you fail the year? Do you have to pass this essay/assignement in order to get into second year? Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You lose whatever mark that essay was worth. So if it was worth 10%, you have lost that much. Its nothing major. Now, if its an assignment and its worth 30% of total subject/module marks, then you've got to work your butt off to ensure you score the majority of the 70% thats available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Yeah, you have no worries, so long as you pass the module as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Corklassy wrote: »
    Does that mean you fail the year? Do you have to pass this essay/assignement in order to get into second year? Please help

Like others have said, it's nothing serious unless the value of the assignment is very high, say 50-70%. First Arts wouldn't have high percentage papers anyway in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

If it is a 1500 or 2000 word assignment and you can barely scrape 800 words, is it even worth handing in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

If it is a 1500 or 2000 word assignment and you can barely scrape 800 words, is it even worth handing in?
    Might as well. At worst they just give you a zero for not writing a long enough essay. Theres always a chance that they could just cut off a load of marks for it bein so short, and mark it anyway. Better off handing something in anyway like.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Didn't want to make a new thread so I'll ask this here. It is kind of related anyway. What happens if you fail the subjects that you don't intend on doing in 2nd year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Didn't want to make a new thread so I'll ask this here. It is kind of related anyway. What happens if you fail the subjects that you don't intend on doing in 2nd year?

You still have pass them even if you don't want to do them.

If you fail them, you have to re-sit them in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

pbowenroe wrote: »

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail..

:P

If you can barely scrape 800 words in that essay size, you're doing something wrong eg.you've misread something, haven't consulted the relevant sources etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

if u have a test that is worth 10% of the overall mark and get under 40% in the test,do they still count your test towards the overall mark or just get zero?

langer91 wrote: »
    if u have a test that is worth 10% of the overall mark and get under 40% in the test,do they still count your test towards the overall mark or just get zero?

Not sure, I'd imagine that you'd get some per cent albeit small?

Advertisement