Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting

Options
  • 22-11-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing accounting in UCC anyone here know what the course is like?and I haven't done accounting for the leaving cert is that a big disadvantage?,thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

I'm just in my first year now. So far I like the course. It's interesting and varied and a lot of the lecturers are good which always helps! There aren't many hours either (about 18 a week I think). There's about 60 in the course but it's mixed with other courses for almost every lecture.

I personally don't think that you need to have done Accounting for Leaving Cert. Sure it might help but the lecturers start from the basics again. They assume that people haven't done it before rather than they have. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Chefdf

I'm in fourth year Acc at the moment. From my experience, it has been a great course. I wouldn't worry about not having done accounting for the Leaving. A few in our class were in your position and had no problems. There is one module in first year that you will have to put in more effort for but only the one so not too much of a problem.
    The course gives a good mix overall. It's not by any means pure accounting. We've had many finance, law, IS, management etc subjects throughout. And you have a good choice every year. Another big plus is the 6 month placement.

My advice is to do it. At the moment most(if not all that applied anyway) of our class have offers of jobs for next year. Don't think there are too many courses in Ireland that can say that.
    And if turns out you don't like accounting during the course, in my opionion you still have most of the same options that a Finance or Commerce student has after you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Thanks for the replies lads :) oh ya and what are the hours like in first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads :) oh ya and what are the hours like in first year?

There are 12 hours of lectures a week for us this year but we have about 5-7 hours (depending on the week) of tutorials and practicals added onto that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Adding the extra year on for work placement has improved this course no end.

Advertisement