Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awards Night for CI

Options
  • 21-11-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I know some of the members of CI post here but it was excellent in Athlone last night.

Roche was fantatsic very entertaining and Declan Quigley did a great job MCing the event. 3 world champs present..fantastic..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

morana wrote: »
    I know some of the members of CI post here but it was excellent in Athlone last night.

Roche was fantatsic very entertaining and Declan Quigley did a great job MCing the event. 3 world champs present..fantastic..
    any results from the votes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

any results from the votes ?

Some results on the club forum Caroline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

The "club" forum?????

That would be which "club" forum for the non initiated here !?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

The "club" forum?????

Give it a rest would you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The "club" forum?????

The first rule about the club forum is you don't mention the name of the club forum.

Your initiation will involve paddles.

Big ones.

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »

More click cronyism on410. Reminds me of the two brians yesterday. "shush and say nothing"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

May I request you do the same Junior - there was nothing wrong with SSB's request, but if you do have a problem with a post, report it

Thanks

Beasty

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The first rule about the club forum is you don't mention the name of the club forum.

Your initiation will involve paddles.

Big ones.

Where can I sign up?

Where can I sign up?

It doesn't quite work that way. You have to put an ad on the adverts forum saying "Wanted:Pair of white Briko Stingers", wait for a PM'd reply suggesting a meeting place (this is the secret meeting place, do not reveal the location!). Your contact will look something like this:

cipollini4.jpg

He will guide you through the rest of the initiation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If there must be moaning it might make sense to direct it at the CI website where the results are nowhere to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Fair shout but we were in the hotel until late yesterday afternoon at a youth commission meeting so I expect we will have them up there today.

From memory

Volunteer of the year Val Considine (womens comm)
    Rider of the year Nico (ravens)
    Best domestic rider Orla Hendron
    Club - Cuchulainn

just remembered bursary was shared by Irvine, English and Lavery...not the aul fella!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Donal Bailey won Male Domestic Rider of the Year, Ras na mBan won Best Competitive event, Tour of Louth won Best Leisure event and Anto Moran won Best Awards Presentation Grip and Grin.

The Crunch wrote: »
    Donal Bailey won Male Domestic Rider of the Year, Ras na mBan won Best Competitive event, Tour of Louth won Best Leisure event and Anto Moran won Best Awards Presentation Grip and Grin.

well done guys ... I know some of you read this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭marcofan

who is donal bailey and what did he win?

marcofan wrote: »
    who is donal bailey and what did he win?
    He's a talented young track cyclist. Met him at the national team sprint champs and he has very big thighs ...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭marcofan

i am sure he can be very good and is talented but it seems wrong that he wins cyclist of the year. I think its done on the internet vote surely it should be selected by a committee, i think something similar happened last year

never heard of him but fair play to him:D

big thighs can swing it alright

Was wondering if this Donal fellow winning domestic rider of the year was an in-joke here on Boards but apparently it's true:

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_5317.shtml

Can I be so bold as to ask if there a viral web campaign by the Orwell Wheelers?

Fair play to the chap but I follow domestic results, never heard of him til this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Was wondering if this Donal fellow winning domestic rider of the year was an in-joke here on Boards but apparently it's true:

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_5317.shtml

Can I be so bold as to ask if there a viral web campaign by the Orwell Wheelers?

Fair play to the chap but I follow domestic results, never heard of him til this weekend.

A viral campaign!?... Perish the thought! If there was, then Orwell as the biggest club would have won club of the year...
    Donal Bailey set a new 200m track record this year in his first year of competition. He lacks racing experience but is a real talent.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No more digs at Orwell Slideshowbob

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I don't think there's any doubt that this was the result of a viral campaign.

I know the lad reasonably well and he is a very nice guy so I certainly don't mean him any harm but I think it's fair to say that the online voting system has rendered this award a farce.

I hope none of the members of Orwell on here will take this the wrong way, but I actually feel sorry for Donal. As an up and coming cyclist I think it's a tremendous burden for him, especially since very few people have ever heard of him. Perhaps he doesn't care, I don't know, but I couldn't help thinking it might be a bit embarrasing.

Billy,

I was getting at that aswell above, wasnt having a dig at Orwell, it was a genuine comment on what I could see

• Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Any democratic system is subject to block voting issues. The problem with internet voting is that it's much more convenient, particularly when you can just copy/paste some text.

I say down with convenience. We should have to walk to the top of Shay Elliot (or somewhere rural and really far away from Joe Daly's, like the Phoenix Park) in our cleats and chisel our votes into a stone tablet with our teeth.

as the resident board member I would be happy to put forward any ideas that the contributors here might have to the rest of the board!

These awards were put in place a few years ago and are very much in their infancy and we hope to refine them next year along with the bursary award. We have some ideas but shout there if you have anything in mind that might improve it.....

We do listen you know!

Sorry, is it wrong for people from a club to vote for one of their members if they are nominated? Surely if you are laying blame it as at the nominations committee for placing "burden" on the lad.

Would you blame all the english premier league players if they decided to vote for an english player, say Wayne Rooney, as the player of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Lumen wrote: »
    Any democratic system is subject to block voting issues. The problem with internet voting is that it's much more convenient, particularly when you can just copy/paste some text.

I say down with convenience. We should have to walk to the top of Shay Elliot (or somewhere rural and really far away from Joe Daly's, like the Phoenix Park) in our cleats and chisel our votes into a stone tablet with our teeth.

I'd keep stone tablets away from my mouth if I were you Lumen, lotta calcium in those babies................. ;)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Sorry, is it wrong for people from a club to vote for one of their members if they are nominated? Surely if you are laying blame it as at the nominations committee for placing "burden" on the lad.

Would you blame all the english premier league players if they decided to vote for an english player, say Wayne Rooney, as the player of the year?

BTW our rethink of the system has nothing to do with Don Bailey winning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I am going to conduct a vote on the greatest viral rigging of an online poll.

Oh wait...

Advertisement