Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of professional - install dishwasher

Options
  • 21-11-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on a dishwash installation? I live in a small apartment with an equally small, galley kitchen. I really would like to buy a dishwasher but there is no where to put a free standing unit. The only place I can see it going is in a press under/to the righthand side of the sink (there are 2 doors in this under-sink unit). This will mean cutting the shelves inside the righthand side of the cabinet, and I guess removing the existing door. It would be great if the door could be used on the front of the dishwasher (like an integrated one) but I am not sure if this is possible. The dishwasher will have to be hooked up to power (figure drilling through the back wall of the press and taking a cord to a supply in the hot press would be the best idea). It will also need to be plumbed.

I am dire when it comes to DIY and I really don't want to run the risk of destroying the cabinet. Do you think I plumber could do all of the work or would I be better with a cabinet maker and a plumber. Or could a handyman do the job?

Any advice and relevant recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also how much would I expect to pay do you think?

Cheers in advance

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Handy man, about €80, €20 for parts, €60 for the work.
    Should take 3 or 4 hours max so €20 an hour is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Alee36 wrote: »
    Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on a dishwash installation? I live in a small apartment with an equally small, galley kitchen. I really would like to buy a dishwasher but there is no where to put a free standing unit. The only place I can see it going is in a press under/to the righthand side of the sink (there are 2 doors in this under-sink unit). This will mean cutting the shelves inside the righthand side of the cabinet, and I guess removing the existing door. It would be great if the door could be used on the front of the dishwasher (like an integrated one) but I am not sure if this is possible. The dishwasher will have to be hooked up to power (figure drilling through the back wall of the press and taking a cord to a supply in the hot press would be the best idea). It will also need to be plumbed.

I am dire when it comes to DIY and I really don't want to run the risk of destroying the cabinet. Do you think I plumber could do all of the work or would I be better with a cabinet maker and a plumber. Or could a handyman do the job?

Any advice and relevant recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also how much would I expect to pay do you think?

Cheers in advance

A

You can get slimline undercounter dishwashers which would use the existing press door but they tend to be floorstanding units - which would mean your press would have the bottom cut out of it too in order to make way.

The slimline units are designed for 450mm (iirc) wide kitchen presses (the standard dishwashers go into 600mm wide units) so you'd also need to check that's the size of the available space and not some other size. And check that the sink doesn't protrude into the right hand side where the dishwasher is going to go.

Some good photos of the situation, with a tape measure placed across the width of the unit, would help in assessment.

I doubt the work would be done in three hours or that a handyman would travel there and back for free. More like a days work (150-170 euro?) and perhaps 20 euro in parts.

PM me if that's within your range :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

going rate for the job is 120 euros all in and should take a competant person no longer than 2 hours .its a simple job -if you go with an integrated the kickboard doesnt have to be cut just a check taken out of it -must be cut if you go with a freestanding -
    the futher away from the sink or washing machine you go the extra you will pay for pipework

knighted_1 wrote: »
    going rate for the job is 120 euros all in and should take a competant person no longer than 2 hours .its a simple job -if you go with an integrated the kickboard doesnt have to be cut just a check taken out of it -must be cut if you go with a freestanding -
    the futher away from the sink or washing machine you go the extra you will pay for pipework

The OP appears to want the dishwasher positioned where now stands a kitchen unit - not a convenient open space awaiting an integrated dishwasher. Surely there'd be a bit of work involved in turning that two door kitchen unit into a one door kitchen unit + convenient open space awaiting an integrated dishwasher.

The OP appears to want the dishwasher positioned where now stands a kitchen unit - not a convenient open space awaiting an integrated dishwasher. Surely there'd be a bit of work involved in turning that two door kitchen unit into a one door kitchen unit + convenient open space awaiting an integrated dishwasher.

no its extremly straight forward

edit - should add that the shelf wont be going back in -only extra i ever see is if the plumbing at the rear of new machine has to be moved

• Advertisement

knighted_1 wrote: »
    no its extremly straight forward

edit - should add that the shelf wont be going back in -only extra i ever see is if the plumbing at the rear of new machine has to be moved

I take it that "the shelf wont be going back in" means you wouldn't plan on converting the two door kitchen unit to a one door kitchen unit + convenient open space awaiting an integrated dishwasher. Instead you figure to remove the shelf that's presumably there and slide a dishwasher into one side of the double kitchen unit.

Precisely what kind of dishwasher are you envisaging here? It's got to be short enough (in height) so that it slides into an existing kitchen unit without removing that kitchen units floor. It's also got to be shallow enough in depth so that it doesn't hit the back panel of that kitchen unit. Given that it's also a slimline model, I call fail to be struck by the apparently tiny size of this machine.

Does such a device actually exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

the floor and back panel are usually just screwed in.I have done this job myself and it is genuinely straight foward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm also thinking of getting a dishwasher and having it plumbed in, so if I might hitchhike on this conversation, what are good brands, low in energy and in price, and where's the best place to buy them?

G.MAN wrote: »
    the floor and back panel are usually just screwed in.I have done this job myself and it is genuinely straight foward.

Screwed into what? Don't kitchen carcasses these days tend to be assembled from a flat pack in which the floor and rear panel form structural elements?

Removing half the floor of a twin door carcass would mean slicing the floor and rear in two (in situ) and shifting the legs from the discarded piece of floor to the remainder. Whilst you could slide the dishwasher in at this point, it couldn't be considered a quality job to leave the remainder of the carcass without a sidepanel (or a shelf, for want of a side panel).

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

Screwed into what? Don't kitchen carcasses these days tend to be assembled from a flat pack in which the floor and rear panel form structural elements?

Removing half the floor of a twin door carcass would mean slicing the floor and rear in two (in situ) and shifting the legs from the discarded piece of floor to the remainder. Whilst you could slide the dishwasher in at this point, it couldn't be considered a quality job to leave the remainder of the carcass without a sidepanel (or a shelf, for want of a side panel).

I have just re read original post.I didnt realise it was a 2 door unit.I see your point,you are correct it would be left looking messy.i was advising on the basis it was a single unit and the dishwasher should more or less slide in confortably.Apologies

• Advertisement

done loads of these -where 1 door finishes thats your mark small skil saw and a reciprecating saw -cut right thru - next take a new end panel (5 euro) and fit it from floor to under sink (should be right at bowl and leave enuff room to push thru water inlet and outlet hoses at rear )might need two batons to support top and bottom at back - door will now close to a self contained unit -if fitting an integrated you will leave the kick board just taking an inch out of top to aid the drop down motion of the door -if door was a 595 then a 60 cm integrated can be fitted -if door was 495 then a 45 cm integrated can be fitted and centered - if you are fitting a freestanding you will have to take the width of kick board out -

two hours max -minimal problems should be encountered ,as i said earlier biggest problem is usually a water pipe at rear ,but only occasionally

this is based on a two door under sink cabinet

a 45 cm integrated can fit under most draining boards no problem

You pays your money...

G.MAN wrote: »
    I have just re read original post.I didnt realise it was a 2 door unit.I see your point,you are correct it would be left looking messy.i was advising on the basis it was a single unit and the dishwasher should more or less slide in confortably.Apologies

No worries. Mine too for turning this into a willy-waving* contest.

(copyright PDN over the the Christianity forum)

Advertisement