Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in sound engineering

Options
  • 21-11-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

looking to go into sound engineering after i leave school.
    Theres a plc course available in sound engineering for one year, would that cover much in the year? i was also thinking about the sound training centre to study there...

is it hard to get jobs in SE? and how does it work? do you work for the venue, band or record label??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

there are definitly jobs but they are few and far between.

to give you an indication, from my graduating class of 40 odd there's less than 10 of us working in the industry.. and 2 of us are in the same studio!

the only people getting the jobs are the best out there. you need to be driven to a point where it takes over your life.

as an example, ill be tracking in the studio from 9am to 9pm. i then come home, hang out with my GF for a bit and then its straight into my own little set-up to edit and get things ready for next day. im just lucky herself's job does 13 hr shifts so she's understanding. most normal girls would be LONG gone... and if i've worked less than 12 hours 6 days a week it feels like its a quiet one!

you work for clients. you will work nearly every hour of the week. you will have to work for free until your name becomes known.

i wouldnt change it for the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ILoveParamore

wow. thanks.
    I really want this. i might be only 17 but i would be happy to give my life to this.

can i ask what you would typically do in a week working with a client?
    also, how long would it take to get to understand and work everything and actually be good at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

can i ask what you would typically do in a week working with a client?

for a typical 5 piece rock band a week would usually mean tracking 3 songs out in our place.

day 1 would be scratch tracks and getting drums and bass sounds. we'd usually start recording mid afternoon if all goes well.

day 2 would be finishing drum and bass recordings and getting started on guitar sounds and micing amps we'd sometimes record a few test takes trying out differant positions and sounds.

day 3 guitars guitars and more guitars

day 4 finish guitars and start vocals

day 5 vocals.

obviously this is open to all sorts of change at a moments notice :)
    also, the above is only the glamourus side. there's also a lot of cleaning (im personally meticulas in the studio. its the last place you want a mess!) and tidying, stock taking, cable fixing etc etc.

lets just say that actual recording (especially in your first few years) takes a back seat to general day to day stuff.

also, how long would it take to get to understand and work everything and actually be good at it?

i'm a firm believer in the 10,000 hours theory - http://langmama.blogspot.com/2010/02/10000-hours-to-be-truly-good.html

one of my lecturers explained to me the thinking behind it and i think it rings true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Just to add,If your serious you should be doing stuff outside of school like recording yourself in your bedroom.

Doesnt have to be expensive but itll help you understand whats involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Yeah, like above, dont wait to start a course, get yourself a cheap interface and start recording things, even if its only a guitar/vocal, pick up some books on the subject. its expensive,demanding and ****in hardwork so make sure its what you want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 ILoveParamore

it sounds perfect for me and i would be willing to give all of my time to it. Can i ask how long you've been doing it? would working the sound desk at venues ever come it to it?

i'm currently trying to use FL Studios and making little mixes. Gonna try start recording soon too now that you've said that.

Advertisement