Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free Sat Nav Android app

Options
  • 21-11-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

New to Android so apologies if this has been asked before

Looking for a free Sat Nav Android app, that uses my phones GPS receiver and not the internet to navigate, (dont want to pay for / use data to navigate )
    primaraly interested in Ireland maps/gps but nice to have France as well

Phone has wifi, so can download the maps over wi-fi (are these downloaded to the phone or Micro SD)

Samsung Europa Android 2.1

PS Do phone GPS's give an accurate speed reading, when compared with your car's speedo ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

try mapdroyd

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

k123456 wrote: »

Looking for a free Sat Nav Android app, that uses my phones GPS receiver and not the internet to navigate, (dont want to pay for / use data to navigate )

Phone has wifi, so can download the maps over wi-fi (are these downloaded to the phone or Micro SD)

PS Do phone GPS's give an accurate speed reading, when compared with your car's speedo ?
    Yes they do, same as a normal GPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Hi try Ndrive, I downloaded it to my SGS with complete maps of europe, works like a charm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

k123456 wrote: »

Any luck with the sat nav on the samsung europa?
    I have the same idea...4 points on my license means i need to watch this stuff, and i heard that there is an app that is good on an android phone that will tell you if you are breaking the speed limit/coming near a known checkpoint or speed trap..

your experience, especially with this phone, is welcome. I was going to purchase tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

you can use trapster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

akamossie wrote: »
    you can use trapster

Basically, i have a nokia e52...great phone, but the ovi maps eat my internet usage. Is it true the maps(like trapster) will just use gps position and not internet allowance on an android phone? Not exactly an expert in this field, hence my questions.

Was going to splash out and buy the HTC desire today..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

but the ovi maps eat my internet usage.
    huh?

Do you not download the OVI maps to the device using the maploader tool? I do that for the n82 and 6110, zero data usage.

Having said that, neither of those phones are my current one, I have the Desire and recommend it as an upgrade from the nokia :)

The downside is that it will actually use your data connection for maps, as mapdroyd or other offline maps don't work with Trapster - i.e. you need a live data connection for trapster to work. I wouldn't use any smartphone without a data add on regardless.

Advertisement