Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer science

Options
  • 20-11-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey im thinking of doing computer science in 2011 and was just wondering what people think of it? the main thing i want to know is how much programming is done in the courses im trying to decide between computer applications in dcu , computer science in trinity or UCD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

Peter M wrote: »
    Hey im thinking of doing computer science in 2011 and was just wondering what people think of it? the main thing i want to know is how much programming is done in the courses im trying to decide between computer applications in dcu , computer science in trinity or UCD

Believe Dcu have the best course for computer science. This also means its a more challenging course so be prepared to do the work.

There is a lot of programming done, mainly Java in first year. (small bit of html/css)After which you will expand into other Languages (not too many, mainly C/C++ with a few others)

apart from about one module each semester(or year) you will be mostly programming for assignments.

If your looking for a good Degree, with plenty of practical experience and are prepared to do the work. Look no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

and you have INTRA work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Peter M

Tanks went to their open day today and one of the guys said tat they learn around 15 languages just wanted to see wat other courses were like but from wat ive read i think dcu's is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

DCU don't really have a computer science course.

Computer Applications is more about software engineering. Though there's a couple of computer science modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Peter M

Is there any real difference between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

DCU don't really have a computer science course.

Computer Applications is more about software engineering. Though there's a couple of computer science modules.

The whole distinction between the 2 left me scratching my head (and I've done the DCU course!). Here's a good article I found on the topic of software engineering vs computer science...

http://www.stevemcconnell.com/psd/04-senotcs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i know the head of it in a large multi national company in ireland and two or three years ago i remember him telling me that when he is hiring programmers and engineers for his department he looks for the dcu degree first. it dosnt mean that the graduates from other colleges dont stand a chance it just gives an extra few points to someone as in that companies experience they have gotten the best performance from dcu graduates

anecdotal, take it or leave it

Advertisement