Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus android Beta General Suggestions/Feedback

Options
  • 20-11-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

HI, I have just released a Beta version of my Dublin Bus Application for
    android.
    The app is available for download here http://bit.ly/DublinBusBeta
    and herecxjHwk.qrcode?s=166
    The aim of this beta is like most betas, to have a smooth, user friendly
    and bug free app before public release.

I would appreciate it if People could download the app and have a bit of a
    mess about with it and give feedback on the forums.
    This thread is where people can discuss the app with others and give suggestions and make critical comments.

Thanks and enjoy the app, Feel free to PM me also

Rate This app 8 votes

Love it, really usefull, ready for full release.
    0% 0 votes
    Good, with a bit of polish needed.
    0% 0 votes
    not great, needs alot of work.
    62% 5 votes
    Bad (please comment with reason)
    37% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

not sure how to add fav bus. Seems when i click on first fav it has some bus from pool beg street and when I hit the back button it exits the program. Ill mess about more with it later, perhaps im missing some thing.

Still great idea for an app, any plans to make another for the trains when your bus app is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Only thing that bugs me about it is the "Back Button". You should really attach that to an event instead of closing the app. Maybe have it closing only on the main screen.

Apart from the News is this app totally native?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

+1 on the back button issue.

Needs a bit of polishing in terms of UI, but functionally seems to do the job.

Pulling the data a bit slowly from the server as well, a progress dialog might be a good idea.

Also one bigger issue I have with it is the size, installed on the device (HTC desire) it uses 3.99MB, for many androids internal storage is at a premium, so i'd recommend using Apps2SD or try and cut down on the size. Looks like your using Appcelerator to develop, not 100% though, if so cutting down on the size would be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 grifto rifto2

Thanks for the feed back on the back button and UI, since I am using app inventor to develop there is no back button support yet... They have announced they are working on it and as soon as its available. The ui will most likely be polished for final release.
    The app is completely native except for the rss, and there its quite a lot of processing going on to accurately pick out the next bus schedule, I own a Samsung Galaxy S and it takes 1-3 seconds so it should be fine on newer devices, I am aware of the slowdown and will work to fix it.
    Thanks again, feel free to pm me also for more info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

I think it is better to make an application for dublin bike, not bus.

So we can check where has bikes left and which station is full or not.

Hope it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think it is better to make an application for dublin bike, not bus.

So we can check where has bikes left and which station is full or not.

Hope it.

There already is one that does exactly that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just tried this app. Maybe I'm missing something but when I go to bus timetables I only get a list of 1 to 5. Is that all that's available or should I see more?
    Still great idea for an app, any plans to make another for the trains when your bus app is done?
    Try Next Train Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just tried this app. Maybe I'm missing something but when I go to bus timetables I only get a list of 1 to 5. Is that all that's available or should I see more?

+1 , that's all I'm getting also.

Hi guys, so far I only put in those few timetables.
    I plan on releasing the app by tuesday so thanks for everything guys/gals
    Tell your android owning friends to look out for the
    app soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

can you post some screenshots please? thanks

• Advertisement

Hey everyone fyi the app its now out on android market, thanks very much for all the help and support, It wouldn't be same with out y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 8 discostews

Hey man, wondering if you can get the app to work on the Samsung Galaxy Europa (i5500) phones - its not showing up in the app store. Might be an issue with the lower resolution screens.... Not sure how much work it is to add that functionality.

P.S. Didn't show for phone running android 2.1 or 2.2

Great work so far!

discostews wrote: »
    Hey man, wondering if you can get the app to work on the Samsung Galaxy Europa (i5500) phones - its not showing up in the app store. Might be an issue with the lower resolution screens.... Not sure how much work it is to add that functionality.

P.S. Didn't show for phone running android 2.1 or 2.2

Great work so far!

Hi, ill check that out. Thanks for reporting it to me. Simply searching 'dublin' should be though to find it.
    Cheers again
    Marco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Any chance of a map?

Since it's a mobile app, I think more location features are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

User interface could do with a bit of work, but functionality wise it gives me the times which is the important thing. Maybe see if you can get a designer to give you a hand if that isn't your forte.

Nice to have: you could add some of the other local services, e.g. Swords Express, URBus, etc.

p wrote: »
    Any chance of a map?

Since it's a mobile app, I think more location features are a must.

Yes of course, thats high on my priority list for this app. Its form will probably be opening up the maps application with an overlay of the selected bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

* Back button from favourite next bus comes out of app instead of back
    * favourite next bus is slow to load - can it not be cached?
    * If I have a choice of favourite next busses, it would be nice to see them together instead of looking up seperately

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

this doesnt seem to work for me at all, is it supposed to only have timetables for 5 buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I see Dublin bus are launching a real time service http://www.transportforireland.ie/

This creates an opportunity for someone to create a really useful Dublin Bus app, e.g. show stops near you and show you when buses are expected in real time.

Advertisement