Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 hotshot modem with xbox live?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

the o2 shop are telling me that with the o2 hotshot modem, i can connect my xbox to it wirelessly, giving me access to xbox live (something i dont have at the moment with my mobile broadband)

but i just wanted to know if anyone has actually tried it? i dont know that much about this kind of thing, but it seems to me it shouldn't work - its still on the same mobile broadband network, whether the modem is connected via usb or wirelessly, how would that make a difference?

can anyone clear this up for me?

cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Well in theory yes, but in reality your Mobile BB will never be up to par for online gaming, the pings are too high

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You are right. They don't know what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

the o2 shop are telling me that with the o2 hotshot modem, i can connect my xbox to it wirelessly, giving me access to xbox live (something i dont have at the moment with my mobile broadband)

This is true. You can connect the Xbox to the O2 mobile network through the Wifi network and connect to Xbox live. This does not mean you'll be able to play games with any degree of reliability or playability though.
    whether the modem is connected via usb or wirelessly, how would that make a difference?

It will make no difference. If you currently have crap speed and (more importantly) ping, then the Wifi router will not make that any better, in fact, it will probably be a little bit worse. Save your money, and ignore the O2 sales people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Well in theory yes, but in reality your Mobile BB will never be up to par for online gaming, the pings are too high

Nonsense, I'm playing my PS3 with my O2 modem and ethernet cable. Running smoothy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Nonsense, I'm playing my PS3 with my O2 modem and ethernet cable. Running smoothy.

Means You live in a quiet part of the country where nobody makes calls. Its not broadband, its a phone network, one subsidised by voice calls, where voice traffic gets priority over data traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Suspiria79 wrote: »

Not nonsense when i know of several cases of it :) including myself. Used to attempt to play Live on an O2 modem, eventually gave up and realised there was no point, you cant play online games with a 250-300ms ping

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

jor el wrote: »
    This is true. You can connect the Xbox to the O2 mobile network through the Wifi network and connect to Xbox live. This does not mean you'll be able to play games with any degree of reliability or playability though.

It will make no difference. If you currently have crap speed and (more importantly) ping, then the Wifi router will not make that any better, in fact, it will probably be a little bit worse. Save your money, and ignore the O2 sales people.

I use O2 and 3 mobile broadband for my xboxlive. Its usually good enough for Call of Duty but can be crappy for the likes of FIFA. I have the xbox connected to my laptop or I use the wireless adapter and router. It works well for me but it is hit and miss for alot of people by the sounds of it. If they stiil do a 14day trial period with the dongles you could check it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But it could be useless in 3 months time, then you still stuck with 9 to 15 months more

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

watty wrote: »
    But it could be useless in 3 months time, then you still stuck with 9 to 15 months more

That is unfortunately very true but I think you can get shorter term contracts now. Its not the ideal solution for gaming but when your in the sticks your options are limited.

Advertisement