Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab any Idea.

Options
  • 20-11-2010 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I have a 2001 saab 9-3 2.0lt turbo that died on me the other day. The engine light came on and the car would cut out if there were no revs. I assume the car went into limp mode but idon't have the foggiest what's wrong. Up till now the car has been a delight. To source the problem i need to find a mechanic with a tech II diagnostic device.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, good or bad.

B
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From West to Motors.

Did you sign up to other forums too?
    You can contact www.cunninghamhiggins.com to get a quote there.
    Hopefully others will have suggestions around the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

If the car runs when you give it some throttle but does not idle it sounds like your throttle body went into limp home mode:

Reset instructions here although it will probably come back soon again so budget for a new throttle body.

http://swedishwrench.com/Saab_throttle_reset.htm

To reset the CEL you'll may need to disconnect your battery for about 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Barracus

Yes, I joined a couple of saab forums to try and get some info.
    The throttle body seems to be what most are saying, thanks for link that's appreciated.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Try micksgarage.ie for great prices on Saab parts

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Had a 2002 2.3l Saab 9-5 Turbo do this on me, stalling, chugging and dropping revs. Turned out to be a knackered throttle body. €90 from a breakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Here's a vid of the limp mode reset anyway.

Thats assuming you have the T7 management system.
    I think also that when in this mode the top revs are reduced too, not too sure how much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_CmGp20mk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Barracus

A Mechanic from Rescu Me(Tuam rd) came and collected the car. Turned out to be the throttle body after all. He gave it a clean and put it back in and it has been working okay. He told me there was no guarantee how long this would last but at least if it goes again i would know i would have to buy the new part. He picked the car up in a van replaced a broken pipe cleaned the throttle body and his charges were extremely reasonable. Thanks to all for there info and if stuck give this guy a bash i found him to be very fair.

Advertisement