Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary References to Bewleys?!

Options
  • 20-11-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm doing a thesis project on Grafton Street, as part of it I'm studying the idea of Bewleys as Culturally Iconic (obviously) so I'm looking at references to it in Irish literature. You'd think this would be easy but so far I've only found references to it in Joyces Dubliners and a scene from Michael West's Dublin By Lamplight. I was wondering if any of you lovely people could think of any that spring to mind? It'd be great to get pointed in the right direction!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lanerlee

Thanks,

Well, it's as part of an overall study, in which I'm simply bulking up the study of literary references to Grafton Street with more specific references to paint a picture of the cultural influence of the place (ie. Bewleys). Quite non- specific in this context I realise, I've been through the ginger man, I must read it again!! Obviously I'm looking at authors who wrote and published works between 1927 and 1980, as this is time frame in which the Grafton Street branch would've been at it's peak. Thanks a million for you help!!
    Much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Considering everything seems to be referenced in Finnegans Wake, I bet there's a reference to Bewley's in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

There's a few references to Bewley's in Yeat's is Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

google / books

type
    bewleys cafe grafton street

you will find plenty of references in travel guides but also a few in novels. Not sure if you would call it literature.

Among the throng on Grafton Street was Jimmy Moran; looking every day of his forty-four years. ... Bewley's Cafe was still there but it wasn't really Bewley's anymore. The characters had changed also – most notably, the Diceman had long
    They were on their way down to Bewleys Café Theatre, not to see a play but to attend the launch of a new record ... Isabelle was taking a right as they left the café. Busy Grafton Street was almost deserted at this time of the evening. ...
    On Sundays she would wake up early and walk to Grafton Street to buy the newspapers, and then to Bewley's Cafe for breakfast and coffee. She was a cold, distant, self-protective woman, yet on occasion a bout of human warmth would ...
    Mammy gave me sixpence every day to go to Woolworth's in Grafton Street on my lunch hour and buy myself a cup of hot Bovril. ... clothes displayed in the windows of Richard Alan and Brown Thomas and at the cakes in Bewley's Coffee Shop. ...
    ... Told the people of the world the absolute truth – Which they had found on the wall Of Bewley's Coffee shop in Grafton Street Dublin; For there were many in Bewley's would put the world to right In an afternoon's confabulation. ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement