Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champagne for Wedding Reception

Options
  • 20-11-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy 30 or so bottles of champagne for a wedding reception in about a months time... I have been in contact with a number of distributers and have gotten the following quotes:
    Piper-Heidsieck @ €30 per btl
    Mercier Champagne @ €25 per btl

I've tasted the Piper stuff and (IMO) its excelent.
    Anybody have anything to say about Mercier? I'm struggling to find it in off-licences around home (kilkenny) to try some.

If anybody has other reccomendations in a similar price range feel free to offer an opinion...

Thanks........
    Tagged:

Comments

Probably not what you're interested in but Marks & Spencer have their Champagne reduced from €44.50 to €12.50 for a limited time (possibly only until tomorrow). Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Ashamed to say I haven't tried either, but as a general rule of thumb you get a lot more for your champagne over the 30 mark. Top end Cava,Prosecco etc IMO are better buys in the 10-30 euro bracket.

FYI at Curious we have 20% off indicated prices on sparkling and champagne here. The most Champagne-like outside of Champagne is the Tasmanian.

There should be some great value to be had on the champers front this Christmas because of the over-supply, but just be careful not to be drawn in by the supposed 'half price' and 75% off offerings. Almost all are horridly marked up to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Does it have to be champagne? You'd be able to get a lovely prosecco or sparkling wine or cava for half the price and i guarantee nobody would notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Redpunto wrote: »
    Does it have to be champagne? You'd be able to get a lovely prosecco or sparkling wine or cava for half the price and i guarantee nobody would notice the difference.

Doesn't necessarily have to be champagne, just want something people will enjoy... feel free to recommend a sparkling wine/prosecco and i'll check it out...

Thanks,

K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Jacobs creek pinot noir is nice, so is Codorniu Reserva Raventos Cava. Cheap as chips is the prosecco in Dunnes €6.something. I like it but it might just be my cheap taste buds. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement