Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turkey!

Options
  • 20-11-2010 1:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

where are you getting your turkeys from? fresh or frozen??

the last couple of years ive got mine from an organic turkey farm, but cant afford it this year. now im thinking have something else instead of turkey, what do you all think???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Why don't you think about getting a turkey crown instead or check out the special offers at Aldi or Lidl. I'm going for a turkey crown myself this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

Dunnes have frozen turkeys on offer from €5.99 (3kg+) and Tesco from €7.49 (4kg+) at the moment.

I got a 4.4kg frozen turkey in SuperValu recently for €8 when they were on offer and it was lovely. I followed Nigella's Turkey in Brine recipe and it was tasty and succulent.

I've done frozen and fresh turkeys, crowns and full turkeys, portions when only 2 of us and didn't find much if any difference, well none that I can remember.

I'm going to see what's available locally before I decide on this year's bird.

Last year for a change we got Aldi's 3 bird roast and it was delicious.

I much prefer the ham and last year we got Crowe's dry cured ham and it was the nicest ham that I can remember having tasted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got a turkey crown in M&S last year. It was lovely.
    Damn this having to wait another month to Christmas lark, I want my dinner NOW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

How many are you planning to feed? You could get a duck or two instead of a turkey.

I usually get a frozen turkey but it must have giblets included. You can make a fabulous soup from a boiled turkey carcase and giblets with chopped veg :) One of our Christmas traditions, usually made in time for New Year's

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I used to buy the turkey crown in Dunnes, two of them, in the foil tray until I realised one Christmas that no-one liked turkey.:D (long story).

They were always moist and tender, if you like turkey that is.

Now I buy the nicest roast I can find, and we still have all the trimmings thrown in.

I'd rather a large succulent piece of roast beef to a turkey any-day of the week including December 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

where are you getting your turkeys from? fresh or frozen??

the last couple of years ive got mine from an organic turkey farm, but cant afford it this year. now im thinking have something else instead of turkey, what do you all think???

where are you from op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

More info on turkeys from the food forum. I like fresh turkey myself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074740

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

We usually order ours from the local butchers, but they are so large that there is usually alot of waste! We got our turkey and ham from Lidl last year and it was just as good. My sister is brilliant at cooking and never fails in making a lovely Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

It wouldn't feel like Christmas without a turkey ( that's just me!) and while I usually get a fresh turkey for Christmas I have snapped up frozen turkeys when they're on offer in Tesco or Superquinn and cooked them for New years Eve or later on in the year and to be honest have never really noticed the difference once they're cooked properly. All the hassle of remembering to defrost them at just the right time and temp. is just a pain when you have so much else to do and think about for Xmas Day.....but I'd do it rather than not have a turkey! I've tried the turkey crowns at other times of year and they've been fine too, I just prefer to have something to stuff and then make stock from later. If you see any in Aldi or Lidl for a good price I'd go for it. Also, I think Supervalue are doing half price turkeys this year if you build up enough points in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

sceal wrote: »
    If you want a really tasty, ethically reared bird this christmas check out the Friendly Farmer in Athenry, he still has a few left...Ronans number is 087-6203765 or you can read about him in my blog http://www.irelands-hidden-gems.com/friendly-farmer.html

I heard him on the Ray Darcy show last week. I think his prices are good for a premium product.

I noticed my local butcher had fresh turkey fillets in various sizes, some stuffed some not that would suit smaller households or those who do not want to have turkey hanging around for days on end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

thanks a million for all the replies, still to make up my mind but its a big help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Aldi are doing a whole goose for €19.99 (which is cheap for a goose) and Lidl have venison legs for about a tenner, or pheasant, or even springbok or ostrich! Aldi's turkey crowns are €9.99, or if you prefer leg meat you can get a turkey drumstick or two from SuperValu for €3 each :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

i got my bronze turkey as a 6 week old chick in august and ive fattened it up my self. ive ended up with another 12 for friends and family. i will be killing and plucking next tuesday. they have been feed the best food lived a great life orgranicly and free range so im expecting the best turkey ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

darrcow wrote: »
    i got my bronze turkey as a 6 week old chick in august and ive fattened it up my self. ive ended up with another 12 for friends and family. i will be killing and plucking next tuesday. they have been feed the best food lived a great life orgranicly and free range so im expecting the best turkey ever

you wont be disapointed, best turkey you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

darrcow wrote: »

"Warble warble...here comes the nice man who kept me warm and well fed since I was a baby....warble warble.....I love him so much....warble cluck warble.....he doesn't look like me but I think of him as my daddy.........warble cluck warble......ah great, he's coming over and giving me a lovely hug....warble warble.......eh, me necks not itchy, no need to hold it so tight....warble warble.....cough....cough....splutter......Daddyyyyyyyy, what are you doiingggg...splutter....urrrrgggggggggggg"

Enjoy your dinner!! :D;)

If it were me.....I'd just end up with a new lifelong pet in the end:rolleyes::D I am just a soft townie, thank goodness for hardy rural folk who do the nasty business for us :D

Advertisement