Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new fathers feelings.. feel free to add to this..

Options
  • 20-11-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

My daughter is two and a half weeks old..

I didnt have an instant falling in love with her moment but within a day I knew I would give my life to protect her..

I have seen physical parts of my own body in her.. as in actually really can see them and they are from me!!

I look at her and all i see is a brighter future.. Absolutley stupid and irrational but actually - for not just me but for life!

She cries - I find the problem and sort it out.. That's my job!

She will be thought to think for herself, believe in herself, stand up for herself and always do right by others

She has taken over from my parents in making me want to be the best person that i can be!!

The highest responsibility possible - And I am loving the feeling!!!

I probably missed a load of stuff please feel free to add to it ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Im a first time dad and its 8 weeks now, for me the best feeling is when i come home from work, look into her pram and she goes wild !!! :D

Its weird, im planning holidays for us in my head one minute, then im saying "i want to ger her a pink bouncy castle (we're now living in a world of pink!), two seconds later and then im saying " that 'prick' you marry better love you as much as i do !!! 8 weeks and i have her married all ready ha

must say, people said it would change my life...it did and i'd never go back !!

Enjoy lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

I have a new baby boy about 4 months.

Nothing better when he starts to smile up at you as you enter the room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

My little girl is six days old.

Our gorgeous, pristine house is no more and is filled with various pieces of baby equipment and covered in baby clothes in various stages of laundry. BTW, I never knew a tiny baby could generate more laundry than two adults. Sheesh!

For the last few days I've been walking around like a zombie through lack of sleep. I almost shoplifted a packet of vests from M&S because I didn't realise I hadn't put them back on the shelf until the girl at the checkout asked me if I was also buying the item under my arm!

When I'm not snatching a precious hour or two of sleep I am freaked about every little thing : Is she too hot or too cold? Hungry or too full? Why is she spitting up? I worry about the colour and consistency of her poo. And on and on and on ....

She rules the roost completely and with a rod of iron. I do what she wants when she wants. My life is not my own any more.

Is this the best thing that has ever happened to me? With no hesitation - Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Our first is due on Christmas day.. Great reading the posts above :) Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My son just turned six months.

The best thing is seeing his little face light up in the morning when I go over to him. He also belly-laughs at the stupidest of things.

I can't wait for him to start talking, I can see that he's taking it all in 'behind-the-eyes' when we talk to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm not playing this game as i'll just make myself cry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Every day since my daughter was born, I have thought each stage of her life was the best yet. But it just keeps getting better and better. Now, she's one and a half and makes my heart melt every single day. She plants the biggest slabbery kisses on me when I come home, we run laps of the kitchen together screeching, she helps with the housework and weeding outside, she waves goodbye to her dinner when she's finished and makes us feel like the two luckiest people in the world every single day. We randomly burst into laughter when we think of something hillarious she says or does and have never ever been so happy.

Best of luck to all the parents with the younger kids, you've so so much to look forward to. Enjoy every single minute. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Just to add to all of the above, is that it gets even better and stronger every day!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Have tears in my eyes here :o

CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Have a one year old boy.

As well as the usual toddlers / baby games we play one where I stick out my elbow and say "do the elbow" and he whacks it with his hand and then smiles.

We also do one called "hairy beary" where I rub the top of my head into his tummy. I have short hair and the grizzly hair makes him laugh.

We've just started the creche - so hopefully that works out ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

Watching the Late Late Toy Show with my lil 3 week old and its snowing outside! - Let this be the first of many!!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

We had our second son recently , he will be 2 wks on Thursday. When our first son was born I had all the feelings that have been mentioned in the thread so far but this time I don't feel as excited or interested. Anyone know if this is normal and is it because the novelty of being a parent is long gone ? Our first son is 3 by the way.

And just to clarify I love this baby just as much as our first but I'm not too bothered with him as in I could leave him all day and not be in a hurry to hold him etc , where as with the first baby I couldn't put him down , was all over him every second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Carra23 wrote: »
    We had our second son recently , he will be 2 wks on Thursday. When our first son was born I had all the feelings that have been mentioned in the thread so far but this time I don't feel as excited or interested. Anyone know if this is normal and is it because the novelty of being a parent is long gone ? Our first son is 3 by the way.

And just to clarify I love this baby just as much as our first but I'm not too bothered with him as in I could leave him all day and not be in a hurry to hold him etc , where as with the first baby I couldn't put him down , was all over him every second.

I'd say just give yourself time to get to know the second child. At three years old, the other guy is at a great age, is a lot of fun, and takes a lot of attention and will tend to overshadow the younger one. (In fact he's probably going out of his way to get as much attention as he can now that there's a new baby on his patch, so you need to be very careful not to let him feel any way neglected or resentful of his new brother.) But I reckon it wont take long before you get to notice and love the little things that your new baby does and develops, and you just won't be able to do without him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've a daughter who's 6 months old, my first child. She's beautiful and I do love her but... I feel very crowded and increasingly frustrated that I cannot get my work done (I'm on holidays but have other work to do) because I have to care for her.

I know this is wrong. I know. Sorry. But I just feel I'm getting nothing done and my official "holidays" have me as a childminder and I find it temperamentally stultifying. I just find I haven't the temperament for this. The year has been already very stressful - I started counselling for the first time, but it was of no assistance - and I was hoping my holidays could give me some reprieve. I just want to escape. I love her, and I love my wife. But I wonder is this for me.

Sorry for dampening the mood, and thank you for allowing me to post anonymously on this forum.

Advertisement